3D Printed Guns? Fueling the "Gun" crisis in America

J. Ascencio 1st MRB

*sigh* I always hate this kind of debate. As somebody that lives in the US and the area where guns are literally everywhere (The South or "Bible Belt"), it is a strange thing. Whenever somebody around where I live talks about guns, anybody who defends the guns rights sounds like they may have some special fetish for it. If somebody opposed it in the open they get ridiculed and made fun of, even questioned on how to defend a home. I admit I even own a couple guns (one of which is an assault rifle, the AK47). With that being said as I have gotten older I have started to think anybody who uses the 2nd Amendment as a defense for not taking any guns away is stupid. It's called an AMENDMENT after all.

Now, I know several people in this unit loves and owns guns, I am not here to convince anybody on to own a gun or not. If somebody is responsible with their gun then I support that person having a gun. However if somebody always threats with shooting somebody with a gun, points it at somebody who is unarmed, intent to hurt somebody in any way, or something along those lines, I can't support that person of having a gun. There are only realistically two reasons to own a gun. For recreation or defense. Yes that's it. Though I admit defense can be questionable because you can defend yourself without a gun. However, yes a gun is more convenient if you have no self defense skills.

On the first video I am impressed that somebody has made a gun from a 3D printer, but I don't know why he would think giving a child buying gun parts online would be a great idea. I thought being a kid was to go outside and have fun (or these days stay inside and play video games until bedtime). Why not use the printer for people who truly need help? Why make even more guns when its actually not hard to go and get a gun (I know this may vary because down here its easy and other places it could be tricky, I know everywhere it isn't easy to obtain). I do stand by the fact that guns don't kill people, people kill people. With that said a gun can make it easier to kill people. On a Jim Jefferies comedy special he talked about guns and how crazy the United States people are with it. I honestly agreed with everything he said in it. (can be found here: Jim Jefferies Gun Control (comedy)

As I have said I do own a couple guns, but I don't see them as protection to me. I find my dogs more protective than any gun could be. If you love guns, fine. By all means, but at least have the decency to look at another person who may not like a weapon around themselves because it can be dangerous. I don't understand personally the obsession with guns, its a tool to kill somebody. I will never understand why the South or other places in the US are obsessed with guns, its a tool and nothing more.

And no I am not part of the idiotic group called the NRA. That group has done almost no good to anybody and it never will. For them its more about profit not about safety. I may own a gun, but the NRA can be shoved into a donkey's asshole.

Apologies to those that may have noticed grammar errors.

Edited by Teachey 1st MRB

Teachey is right on one point. Guns are nothing but tools. Its the gun owners who need to be responsible. I own several weapons. I have never pointed them at anyone or threatened to shoot anyone. My rifle is for hunting, my pistol is for self defense. After 15 years in the Army, I know gun safety. I do not own guns because of what I think other people might do. I do not fear them breaking into my house and trying to rob me. That's what my pistol is for. My biggest fear is what the Government might do. I do not drive around carrying my weapons. Its when I leave the house that I meet the biggest assholes that I wan to choke the living shit out of. My stress level increases when I leave my house. Every time. Its not safe for others for me to carry a gun, so I leave them locked up at home. That is responsible ownership. It is my belief that a well armed population is what keeps some countries from attacking us. Its what stops the Government from doing some things. I don't think our government is a government of the people anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but I fear my government. Its not like when I was a kid. I could play outside at 10pm and feel safe then. The country has changed and its fear and hate running people now. Its getting like that world wide. Its sad.

One thing for me is saying a well armed population stops an out of control government always sounds hollow to me, sure you can get machine guns, assault rifles, even explosive weapons in some cases but if a Government wanted they just take their tanks, supersonic aircraft, artillery,and navy and they can out-range and outgun most anything you could buy.

Now this said I like guns alot (I am working on getting some of my own), and I think there are legitimate reasons to have them and even carry them but for me defense against a government just cannot be one of them.

Frankly I think that for guns just go with simple license system you can say who does or doesn't get a gun, the police can know where they are so it's more safe for them when dealing with calls, and it makes the overall process faster; instead of a background check every time you want a gun just give them your gun license info/ show it to the retailer and your done.

I agree with background checks. Nothing wrong with that. If a person has a tendency to beat his wife all the time, last thing I want is for him to have a gun. I have been in many domestic disputes. I have seen the wife taken to the hospital in an ambulance she was so bad. I have seen children beaten with electrical cords where their spleen was ruptured. Last thing I wanted was for the man to be armed when we responded. They should not have a permit to buy a gun, let alone to carry one concealed. If a wife leaves her husband because of abuse, she should be able to get an expedited license to carry a gun and buy one. I have seen to many times where the husband has killed the wife because she was not able to protect herself or her children. If a person is receiving psychiatric care, they should NOT be able to buy a gun. Simply having them swear on the application that they are not under psych care is not enough. People will lie, especially unbalanced ones. Buying guns through the mail should be a no no also. They should have to go through a licensed gun dealer where a proper background check can be done. We don't need to take the guns from the honest citizen. We need to take them from the crooks.

But what about the idea of people being able to make guns at their house? This guy already made a working whole gun out of the 3d printer. It only fires one shot but who knows where this will go.

Here's my thing with that you can build a gun from scratch for about $100 with an angle grinder, a drill, and a welding machine (usually MIG) assuming you have the metal super easily; there are websites out there that for free will give you PDFs and instructions on how to do so; so until we can curb making homemade guns I think 3d printed guns are a moot point.