Website Update - Part 2

Yamagata 1st MRB

There should be enough from the extra donations, if not, just let me know and I will pay it.  I want this to be special and reflect us all.  Still trying to find where my signature is to make any adjustments to it. 

The BCT Graduation Award Certificate in the DI Office is all white.  Can you change the background color so it will show up?  if we right click at the top and go all the way down to the bottom, it will show the lettering then, but it looks blank at first look. 

2 hours ago, J. Hill 1st MRB said:

The BCT Graduation Award Certificate in the DI Office is all white.  Can you change the background color so it will show up?  if we right click at the top and go all the way down to the bottom, it will show the lettering then, but it looks blank at first look. 

That was weird, I just remade the codebox and that seemed to have changed the text back to black... Not sure why it did that, but if you see it and have editing powers, copy the pre-existing "invisible" code, then edit the post, double-click the codebox and then (depending on if you lost text styling or not, paste the old code back in) click the button that says "Insert into post."  It should go back to black text on white background again.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, J. Hill 1st MRB said:

There should be enough from the extra donations, if not, just let me know and I will pay it.  I want this to be special and reflect us all.  Still trying to find where my signature is to make any adjustments to it. 

Signatures can be edited by clicking your name in the top right to bring up the User Menu, then going to Account Settings.  There should be a 'Signature' tab.

Ok, so updates:

• Re-added the Portal -  It's our homepage again!  There are only 4 panels (Center Main, Right Sidebar, Header and Footer) instead of the 9 or so on the original portal, so that means that there is going a lot on the right side of the screen.  I can work to make some HTML for center blocks, but that's a project for the future.
  • Square Avatars - Thanks to Magoo, we've got the square avatars back, they were circular for a while, but I think the general feeling was against that sort of artsy-fartsy styling.
  • Back to Top -  I don't know about the rest of you, but the "Back to Top" link was an integral part of my forum browsing experience.  Well, we had it for a little while on the previous upgrade of the forums (an arrow at the bottom of every page) but it went missing.  I've installed a new one, so now we have a button in the bottom right corner of the screen that activates once you've scrolled down a little (hooray for not having to scroll all the way down to find it!).  I am pleased.

The new post editor is still a little too "helpful" for our BBCode usage, all the BBCode works, but you never really get to see it after it's posted.  You can edit the source, but unless you have some knowledge of HTML, it's going to be a bunch of gibberish.  There is a huge outcry in the IPS community about that, so hopefully we'll see the return of BBCode editors.  For now, I just need to find and edit the CSS for our source editor and make it so that it's not white text on white background.

On March 14, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Candy 1st MRB said:

Love the improvements! It almost feels like the old page but better!

Arsenault! Its good to hear from you!

Hehe yeah I'm back on the forums after several months away from it. I have a lot to catch up to I think. I'm still on my crappy satellite internet provider though so I still won't be able to play on the servers.

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

• 2 weeks later...

Aha!  https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/

Key Changes

This release fixes reported issues from clients in our bug tracker and support tickets and adds refinement to existing features.

New or Changed Features

• When your link auto-embeds in a post such as with an image, YouTube video, Twitter link, etc. an option will now display to revert the embed back to a plain text link if you do not want the embed.
  • New setting to disable embedding.
  • Facebook/Twitter integration improvements
  • If you are an administrator and encounter a system error, additional debug output will now display. Regular members will see the normal error message.
  • Custom Fields for Support Requests in Commerce now show on the front-end.
  • If an advertisement is set up with a main image, but not smaller images for tablets/mobiles, the ad would not show at all on tablets/mobiles. This has changed so the main image will display on all devices unless smaller images are provided.
  • Topics scheduled to automatically lock or unlock will now reflect this in the topic listing and when viewing the topic.
  • Placing a link to a Facebook status will embed when possible.
  • When viewing a report, the container (for example, the forum) the content is from is displayed.
  • Three character searches are now allowed in the Admin CP Live Search.
  • The Account Settings page now uses vertical rather than horizontal tabs to prevent overflow.
  • If Gravatar is enabled, and a user has not defined an profile photo, then their email address will be used to fetch from Gravatar unless explicitly set not to.
  • Gfycat embeds now use their oEmbed endpoint rather than their JS API.
  • Using Amazon CloudFront as https provider will now be recognized as valid secure connection.
  • The member REST API endpoint will now return custom fields.
  • The Developer Center for Plugins now shows the filename in the list of hooks, and when editing a hook, a breadcrumb includes a link back to the list.
  • Inline notifications can now be dismissed
  • Efficiency improvements to the search index
  • You can now close a poll independently of the topic

Important Fixes

In addition to dozens of smaller fixes this release includes fixes for the follow items that impacted many clients:

• Several security enhancements.
  • The posting parser has been made more efficient.
  • Some BBCode does not parse correctly in version 4 and we have applied some fixes for this. In general BBCode is deprecated so we only provide basic support.
  • Sitemaps could sometimes be blank if there was no content in a specific section.
  • Certain URLs from version 3 were not redirecting properly to the new version 4 format.
  • The timezone detection is now more robust and will more gracefully fail if it cannot determine a visitor's timezone.
  • Permission matrices have been reworked to send less data to prevent exceeding server limitations.
  • Decimal handling has been reworked in Commerce for more precise calculations.
  • The database class now handles InnoDB deadlocks more gracefully, and some queries have been changed to reduce the likeliness of deadlocks.
  • Performance improvements to areas which perform large updates on the members table (for example, when editing permissions).
  • Pages 'number' custom fields previously had an upper limit for submitted values around 2 billion.
  • Multiple fixes for tag searching

Additional Information...

• 1 month later...