Resolved - Windows 10

A. Vranic

Question

Name: A. Vranic

Type of issue:  Software/Hardware

Brief Description of Issue: This past weekend I upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10.  Everything is working great and much better then it was under Vista, but I am getting random shutdowns every few hours.   It only seems to happen when i am playing a game, namely DoD and Europa Universalis 4 (only games that i have currently reinstalled).This past weekend I upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10.  Everything is working great and much better then it was under Vista, but I am getting random shutdowns every few hours.   It only seems to happen when i am playing a game, namely DoD and Europa Universalis 4 (only games that i have currently reinstalled).

Basically what happens is everything is working fine and then BAM the computer just shuts off.  I googled the issue and a lot of people seem to have the same problem and they solved it by turning off all the sleep/hibernate functions.  I did this and it seemed to have solved the problem, but during practice last night it happened again, obviously did not fix it.

Any suggestions?  I am thinking about deleting the video card drivers and reinstalling them......  could it be a memory leak....  but I checked the task manager and there was certainly a lot of memory left when playing both games.....  At a loss and hoping someone with more tech knowledge might be able to assist.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: MSgt. J. Hill

Supporting Technician: WO. J. Candy

15 answers to this question

Just the basics.

Was the computer off the shelf or did you build it?

If off the shelf, did it come loaded with Vista? 

If the computer came loaded with vista (which is pretty old now and not supported anymore by Microsoft) then some of the hardware may not be compatible with Windows 10.

Have you updated the system to the latest drivers for Motherboard, video card etc?

Have you done any Windows updates since you switched?

Even if the hardware is old then there might be a compatible driver out there. You may also need to run the driver itself in compatibility mode. Make sure that the computer has all the latest updates, there may be a fix in there.

When is the last time you cleaned the computer case of dust and dirt?

The computer may be clogged with dust, especially in the processor and video card areas, this may cause the computer to overheat in an intensive game and the computer may simply shut down to protect itself. Also make sure there is plenty of room around the computer, do not have it in a confined space below a desk, this makes the computer heat up twice as fast.

These are a few ideas to try, the problem may or not be software related but hardware or a combination of both. In the future, please use the proper request form, I will correct it for you.

The computer was rebuilt a few years ago.  All of the hardware is compatible, the only hardware I suspect might not be is the hard drive.  The hard drive is about 8 years old and was also thinking about getting a new one.

As for the overheating, the computer is cool as ice, rather the case is cool I did not feel any excessive heat, but I do need to give a dusting.  I will try that tonight and see if it helps.

M. Vranic and I have the exact same computer/hardware and her computer is working fine.  Only piece of hardware that differs is the hard drive, her hard drive is about two years old.

My son had the same problem with his computer.  Turned out it was the ram.  Instead of being double sided, double density, it was single sided.  It was meant for a server, not a PC.  It would shut down after an hour and he could restart it.  Check the ram, if it has chips on only one side, it is probably the wrong memory.  

If you have an Intel Processor, check for the dust too.  If it is dusty inside on the fans and Heat Sink for the processor and overheats, it will shut down automatically. 

I have never heard of a HD shutting off a computer, but you never know.  Will do a little research on it.

Additionally with Windows 10 being updated from a pre-existing OS I have seen a few instances of corrupt update files from your Old OS updates causing issues with the new entries in the registry; check on this by running an SFC /scannow and see if you receive any errors at the end of that process. Dependent on if that completes without errors and what error is received if any, you may need to rewrite your registry.

I would also like to ask that you attempt to play with M. Vranic's HDD in your rig and yours in hers to determine if the HDD itself is the issue or not. If the issue persists at that time on your tower [her HDD] move on to checking of your RAM and further review of temperature based issues.

Edited by Marsden 1st MRB
Took my HR Phone number out.

Good idea Sergeant major.  I would also check to see if the HDD is cleaned of partial files, especially in the Registry.  If it has junk files in that, partial files and such, it will run into errors and shut down.  Have the computer run a check and delete unused files.  Might need to get a registry cleaner also, but check everything else first.  Also defrag the system.  Should have done that before you updated.   I know you could update to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but did not know you could from an earlier version. 

If you and your wife have identical systems, then you should be able to swap parts one at a time to determine if it is hardware that is causing the issue.  This will work for the HDD , ram, and even video cards.  When you open the system to clean it, make sure you check the Power Supply also.  Blow them out with canned air and even start the system while it is open to make sure all the fans are indeed turning.

Few question.  Is it updated to Windows 64 bit or still the old 32 bit?  Did you update or do a fresh install of the OS?  Vista was the WORSE OS EVER.  Whats the Processor?  Dual core or Quad Core? 

Just thought I would give an update.  Cleaned out the dust yesterday, there was a bit, will see how it goes.

I also checked the event log at the time of the last shutdown and there was a bunch of events listed at the time.  none of the events were related to high CPU temperatures, they were all related to USB drivers.  I did not check for any driver updates for my motherboard when i reinstalled Windows 10 and from what i gather the only way to update USB drivers is to update the motherboard drivers, is this correct?

Currently have an MSI motherboard, I will download the auto update program MSI has for the motherboard and BIOS and see if that might help update the USB drivers.

Is it updated to Windows 64 bit or still the old 32 bit?  Did you update or do a fresh install of the OS?  Vista was the WORSE OS EVER.  Whats the Processor?  Dual core or Quad Core? 

Sorry, did not see this post.  It was 32bit and was upgraded to 64bit (both computers as well not just mine)  and the processor has 6 cores.

Edited by A. Vranic 1st MRB

you cannot change 32 bit to 64 bit without reformatting the HDD.  if you used an upgrade, its still 32 bit.  Only a fresh install would allow you to go from 32 bit to 64 bit after formatting the HDD 64 bit.  If thats what you did, it is a NEW OS.  Go to MSI and check for drivers for the model MB you have for Windows 10.  Hope you are not having the same problem my son had when he bought a new HDD and Windows 10.  It was a pain getting it to work correctly.  You mighty need to contact Microsoft because the Processor was registered for Windows Vista, not Windows 10.  All you need to do is have them delete the old info and register the new.  If you remember your user name and PW when you registered windows, you may be able to change this yourself. 

I am pretty sure that it updated correctly to 64 bit.  I have download all the 64 bit drivers for various things and 64 bit programs and they all installed without error.  I installed the 64 bit steel series engine for my mouse and prior to the upgrade it gave an immediate error saying I had to have 64 bit windows to install.

On top of that, if i go to system and check the processor etc....  it says 64 bit now instead of 32.

The Windows 10 upgrade/install also gives you the option to format the hard drive before you proceed, which I did for both computers.

Edited by A. Vranic 1st MRB