Soo Trump won...

Göthe 1st MRB

Incredible how elections are exactly the same here, we vote for the less of two evils, so to say. Here we have the option to cast a null vote or to vote blank, what this means is:

(i) if one votes null, them no candidate, nor any political party involved, gets any vote; furthermore, if the amount of null votes is too big new mandatory elections are hold with new candidates. Alas, that never happened.

(ii) if one votes blank, then the party with some fixed percentage/amount of candidates gets such votes. So this kind of choice boils down to vote for a party, irrespective to the candidate itself.

I always vote null.

In this part of the world, the 3 americas, we are still under the spell or belief that the man in charge is responsible for the nation. Indeed they have a lot of power, but the population waste so much energy with propaganda, to make them scapegoats or to praise them, much more than to actively control the things they are doing.

I wouldn't go quite as far to say we are all bleeding heart progressives. My main concern is for my Wife and how such a blatantly masagonistic man may hinder her ability to be treated and seen as my, as well as any other man's, equal. Not to mention how his tendancy to make blanket statements about demographics based solely on their nationality/descent. But then again, he very nearly won the popular vote as well which just tells me that I was born in the wrong country and my fellow Americans are uninterested in advancing the work started in the 50's and 60's, but instead would like to "Make America Great Again" by returning to the cut and dry view of the world held before we started realizing that a black man is indeed a full human being, not 3/5's of one, and that a woman is entitled to her own opinion, and earnings.

But hey, I agree with the man in regards to the fact that we need to get the economy back up to what it should be, I just don't like the fact that his only outlined plan appears to be tax cuts for corporations. he has provided no other details to this magical plan... I'm hoping he surprises those of us who are skeptical and delivers on his promises about the economy.

Additionally as Trump hasn't demonstrated the greatest control of his tongue/temper in the past I would hope that his cabinet keeps his interactions with foreign leaders to a minimum so he can't say something inflammatory to them, example given "You know Putin, I would love to grab your wife right by the pussy and fuck her raw."

• Upvote 1

I was in Arizona to watch the election on the last night of my vacation.

My thoughts as a Canadian viewing an American election? I'll count them down.

One, I found it endlessly hilarious how wrong the entire media and all the "experts" were about the predicted results of this election. You asked anyone, including myself (though I will say I do not make it my professional business to try and accurately predict the results of elections beyond anything other than hunches, unlike many of these people) a couple weeks ago as to how they thought the election would turn out, and NOBODY predicted it would go like this, and I personally think Trump and his team were surprised as well by the results just by how he reacted with his victory speech. To me, this indicates my suspicions that nobody should ever trust the media or polls when it comes to politics (Political issues, especially), as they evidently have no fucking clue what is actually going on, or were actively lying about the situation to suit whatever political agenda they want (if they do such things, as some particular media branches do do).

Two, the results tell me that the answer as to why Trump succeeded is not simple. I don't care what supposed "expert" tries to spin to explain why he won, they've already proven they have no fucking clue simply by the fact that next to none of them even suspected he would put up a substantial fight, let alone win. He had supporters among minorites, he had supporters among women (in both cases apparently, even higher than Romney did in the last election), and among various classes and very likely among some former Democrat voters. There was no way he could have flipped Michigan and Wisconsin otherwise, and the evidence is even more clearly seen in places like Pennsylvania and Iowa (I think) compared with Obama's results. However Trump won, IMO he did not win simply because he was believed to be a racist or a bigot or a misogynist.  So when Van Jones came out with what I thought was some ridiculous statements last night (some were on point, but I think he got worse as the results came in) of saying: "How are parents going to be explain this to their kids in the morning?" To me, it only rings of how these people still do not understand how anyone could even THINK of voting for this guy, despite the fact that the numbers do not lie. They cannot disassociate why people would vote for him away from all of the negatives they believe regarding him, therefore so many are outright claiming roughly half of America is full of racists, bigots, and misogynists. Such simplistic and IMO arrogant reasoning to me resounds of people who are pissed their candidate lost and are throwing hissy fits, not that they're willing to even understand WHY their candidate lost. IDK entirely myself, but I know for a fact it not so simple. 

Three, I find the irony of many reactions to be amusing. Simply because, let's say Clinton had won. Everyone was predicting that Trump might not accept the results, or his supporters and many even suspected large protests or perhaps even violent actions by his supporters would occur as a result. We'll never know if that would have happened, but what we can see is how Clinton supporters are reacting to Trump's "unexpected" success. And I gotta say, if the roles were reversed, I don't think there would be any sympathy by the media, or anyone else. You know what I think the reaction would be? "Shut up and accept the damn results. Your favoured candidate lost, now lets just give her a chance and see where it goes from there." Now, to be fair, Obama and many others have basically told people to do just that in far politer terms regarding Trump, but just seeing how many reactions are playing out across the states and elsewhere, I cannot help but see exactly why I was right in assuming that there would be conflict regardless of who won. People have the right to be disappointed and fearful as to what a new electoral candidate may bring, especially with an American election that was as divisive as this. But these actions and behaviours with so many Progressives and people of various stripes losing their minds making outrageous accusations, calling for everything from cessions to revolution, to mass protests ALL BEFORE HE HAS EVEN DONE ANYTHING, has just showed me how many people have forgotten the golden rule of politics: Words are wind, and campaign promises are worth nothing until someone actually tries to make them real through action. The fact that they aren't even willing to give him a chance to prove himself just goes to show me that apparently it wasn't merely the reactions of Trump supporters potentially losing the election people had to fear. Not to mention the fact that I'm willing to wager had it actually been them in this position, the tone of their coverage would be completely different, even though both effectively equate to the same thing. We would be seeing the results hailed from the heights as the dawn of a new age of progressivism and I'd wager a mostly disregard for any complaints, rather than the message that its a "step back" for women, minorities, etc or "Not My President" being widely covered along with the unexpected success.

Four, I think most of my countrymen and women, though they have the right to feel worried or afraid about what goes on south of the border, love to forget that we have as much effective influence down here over these matters as a snowball's chance in hell.  The amount of generalizations I've seen by many of my friends and fellows I find to be astoundingly stupid or simplistic to the point of arrogance, especially since I believe they should know better from our own elections alone. 

IMO, the people of America spoke, and made their choice as the democratic process demanded. I do not believe this choice was simple for many, as most election and political decisions rarely are, and I can come up with all kinds of reasons just based on what I know of the situation that do not inherently paint half of America as full of assholes (by this metric, I'd argue most of America is full of assholes of one stripe or another were I to take that type of argument seriously.).  I also believe that trying to act as if that is the case, or simply to not wait and see if he truly does live up to what many fear, will accomplish nothing other than to make the nightmare that everyone fears will happen, become that much closer to a reality. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Armstrong 1st MRB said:

I was in Arizona to watch the election on the last night of my vacation.

My thoughts as a Canadian viewing an American election? I'll count them down.

One, I found it endlessly hilarious how wrong the entire media and all the "experts" were about the predicted results of this election. You asked anyone, including myself (though I will say I do not make it my professional business to try and accurately predict the results of elections beyond anything other than hunches, unlike many of these people) a couple weeks ago as to how they thought the election would turn out, and NOBODY predicted it would go like this, and I personally think Trump and his team were surprised as well by the results just by how he reacted with his victory speech. To me, this indicates my suspicions that nobody should ever trust the media or polls when it comes to politics (Political issues, especially), as they evidently have no fucking clue what is actually going on, or were actively lying about the situation to suit whatever political agenda they want (if they do such things, as some particular media branches do do).

Two, the results tell me that the answer as to why Trump succeeded is not simple. I don't care what supposed "expert" tries to spin to explain why he won, they've already proven they have no fucking clue simply by the fact that next to none of them even suspected he would put up a substantial fight, let alone win. He had supporters among minorites, he had supporters among women (in both cases apparently, even higher than Romney did in the last election), and among various classes and very likely among some former Democrat voters. There was no way he could have flipped Michigan and Wisconsin otherwise, and the evidence is even more clearly seen in places like Pennsylvania and Iowa (I think) compared with Obama's results. However Trump won, IMO he did not win simply because he was believed to be a racist or a bigot or a misogynist.  So when Van Jones came out with what I thought was some ridiculous statements last night (some were on point, but I think he got worse as the results came in) of saying: "How are parents going to be explain this to their kids in the morning?" To me, it only rings of how these people still do not understand how anyone could even THINK of voting for this guy, despite the fact that the numbers do not lie. They cannot disassociate why people would vote for him away from all of the negatives they believe regarding him, therefore so many are outright claiming roughly half of America is full of racists, bigots, and misogynists. Such simplistic and IMO arrogant reasoning to me resounds of people who are pissed their candidate lost and are throwing hissy fits, not that they're willing to even understand WHY their candidate lost. IDK entirely myself, but I know for a fact it not so simple. 

Three, I find the irony of many reactions to be amusing. Simply because, let's say Clinton had won. Everyone was predicting that Trump might not accept the results, or his supporters and many even suspected large protests or perhaps even violent actions by his supporters would occur as a result. We'll never know if that would have happened, but what we can see is how Clinton supporters are reacting to Trump's "unexpected" success. And I gotta say, if the roles were reversed, I don't think there would be any sympathy by the media, or anyone else. You know what I think the reaction would be? "Shut up and accept the damn results. Your favoured candidate lost, now lets just give her a chance and see where it goes from there." Now, to be fair, Obama and many others have basically told people to do just that in far politer terms regarding Trump, but just seeing how many reactions are playing out across the states and elsewhere, I cannot help but see exactly why I was right in assuming that there would be conflict regardless of who won. People have the right to be disappointed and fearful as to what a new electoral candidate may bring, especially with an American election that was as divisive as this. But these actions and behaviours with so many Progressives and people of various stripes losing their minds making outrageous accusations, calling for everything from cessions to revolution, to mass protests ALL BEFORE HE HAS EVEN DONE ANYTHING, has just showed me how many people have forgotten the golden rule of politics: Words are wind, and campaign promises are worth nothing until someone actually tries to make them real through action. The fact that they aren't even willing to give him a chance to prove himself just goes to show me that apparently it wasn't merely the reactions of Trump supporters potentially losing the election people had to fear. Not to mention the fact that I'm willing to wager had it actually been them in this position, the tone of their coverage would be completely different, even though both effectively equate to the same thing. We would be seeing the results hailed from the heights as the dawn of a new age of progressivism and I'd wager a mostly disregard for any complaints, rather than the message that its a "step back" for women, minorities, etc or "Not My President" being widely covered along with the unexpected success.

Four, I think most of my countrymen and women, though they have the right to feel worried or afraid about what goes on south of the border, love to forget that we have as much effective influence down here over these matters as a snowball's chance in hell.  The amount of generalizations I've seen by many of my friends and fellows I find to be astoundingly stupid or simplistic to the point of arrogance, especially since I believe they should know better from our own elections alone. 

IMO, the people of America spoke, and made their choice as the democratic process demanded. I do not believe this choice was simple for many, as most election and political decisions rarely are, and I can come up with all kinds of reasons just based on what I know of the situation that do not inherently paint half of America as full of assholes (by this metric, I'd argue most of America is full of assholes of one stripe or another were I to take that type of argument seriously.).  I also believe that trying to act as if that is the case, or simply to not wait and see if he truly does live up to what many fear, will accomplish nothing other than to make the nightmare that everyone fears will happen, become that much closer to a reality

I agree

*Slow clap grows to rapid clap*

Amazingly worded and one of the most rational analysis' of the Political System and our populaces reactions to it I have ever seen. My big issue is just what you stated, I can't understand how he had the support to win. The difference I'm noticing between myself and a lot of the other Americans is that while I don't understand it, I have accepted it and want to see what he does before I fully condemn him as a president.

As I stated above, I have concerns about where we will be being led, but only time will tell where that will actually be.

Nows the time to buy into stock in salt. prices are lower than ever as supply skyrockets.

I didn't vote for him, but the media blew him up into a character. I honestly like his "first 100 days" plan. If you want to know trump's victory, look at how Obama won. Obama didn't let the Rust Belt (middle america) sit around. he promised change and difference and his team pounded the dirt with cold political door-to-door knocking. Wisconsin and Michigan are two good examples. Blue since '88, lost to the Red. Come to little America, get off twitter and take a look at the Rust Belt voters. They don't care about trump's twitter account. They feel betrayed by Obama's promise of a fixed economy, and they feel threatened with open borders. Hillary comes and campaigns on LGBT rights and expanding the (failed) ACA. It's a pretty obvious vote when you threaten to dump more money into a system that's already skyrocketed Healthcare costs for many poor Americans and ignore the issues the disenfranchised people care about. There's not been a smoking gun on trump to the racist and sexist accusations. You ain't gonna convince me just shy of 60 million voters are racist and misogynist, and the accusations have done more to piss off voters than actually hurt trump.

Give the pumpkin a chance to disappoint us. Who knows, you might be surprised.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kirkendall 1st MRB said:

Nows the time to buy into stock in salt. prices are lower than ever as supply skyrockets.

I didn't vote for him, but the media blew him up into a character. I honestly like his "first 100 days" plan. If you want to know trump's victory, look at how Obama won. Obama didn't let the Rust Belt (middle america) sit around. he promised change and difference and his team pounded the dirt with cold political door-to-door knocking. Wisconsin and Michigan are two good examples. Blue since '88, lost to the Red. Come to little America, get off twitter and take a look at the Rust Belt voters. They don't care about trump's twitter account. They feel betrayed by Obama's promise of a fixed economy, and they feel threatened with open borders. Hillary comes and campaigns on LGBT rights and expanding the (failed) ACA. It's a pretty obvious vote when you threaten to dump more money into a system that's already skyrocketed Healthcare costs for many poor Americans and ignore the issues the disenfranchised people care about. There's not been a smoking gun on trump to the racist and sexist accusations. You ain't gonna convince me just shy of 60 million voters are racist and misogynist, and the accusations have done more to piss off voters than actually hurt trump.

Give the pumpkin a chance to disappoint us. Who knows, you might be surprised.

Exactly.

One thing I also noticed about Michigan and Wisconsin is that both states in the Dems primary voted for Bernie which made me think of a reason why some Dems may have turned. The revelations by Wikileaks relating to all of the bullshit surrounding the democratic nomination I have no doubt pissed off a lot of Bernie Democrats who managed to find out. Doesn't matter if the DNC didn't actually break any laws or not, they pulled some of the scummiest plays you could think of in order to ensure the candidate they wanted to win, won. They were already getting lumped in by large parts of the media falsely as being just as like Trump supporters, and then they find out that the whole system was basically rigged against their favoured candidate from the very beginning. 

I'm not surprised Bernie hasn't really said anything after the latest bit revealing Hillary had had the questions told to her before anyone else, I'd be speechless.

As for Trump though, yeah, I think the Dems lost the confidence of a lot of voters who voted for Obama. Obama, Trudeau (up here in Canada), and Trump all based their campaigns around the same general principle: Change. They all claimed to bring change to what was basically an institution that was had remained the same and was stagnating over years of the same administration. Whether or not they can convincingly pull it off is what determines if they are remembered as successful. Obama effected some changes, but he was hamstrung by the Houses not being in his control. Trudeau has mostly made changes that mean fuck-all beyond appearances despite controlling a majority in the House of Commons and not too much opposition in the Senate while so far not being able to deliver on the few concrete promises he did make. As for Trump, we'll just have to see what he does with both the Houses under his party's control, and very likely a Supreme Court under his majority control before the term is up.

10 hours ago, Marsden 1st MRB said:

*Slow clap grows to rapid clap*

Amazingly worded and one of the most rational analysis' of the Political System and our populaces reactions to it I have ever seen. My big issue is just what you stated, I can't understand how he had the support to win. The difference I'm noticing between myself and a lot of the other Americans is that while I don't understand it, I have accepted it and want to see what he does before I fully condemn him as a president.

As I stated above, I have concerns about where we will be being led, but only time will tell where that will actually be.

Thx, glad to see my University education paid off for something. I'm a cynic or skeptic when it comes to most things even though I consider myself a Leftist (I'll be damned if I call myself a Liberal here in Canada), I find it helps it a lot to dissect a situation that is made out to look too cut and dry. 

You've no idea how many people go through University in the Humanities and Social Sciences and never actually learn how to do that (then again, from what I hear, some Profs don't want to do that, and many students protest against having their minds expanded as well).

As for Trump, I've seen some of the most crude and crass people take high political office (One Premier out of Alberta from years ago actually flipped off his opponents in debates and did all kinds of crazy shit, yet he smashed all the opposition in the election). Some of them have been the most amazing people to hold those offices, and others have been absolutely terrible. Trump could be a hero, a zero, or the devil. We won't know a thing though before he actually gets into office he and his party starts enacting his plans.

Apparently though, some people I've seen talking in other communities are comparing it to basically similar reactions to a lot of Republicans at Obama's elections. A lot of hissy fits, Texas threatened to leave, but now because Social media is bigger (ironic since Twitter is slowly going down the tubes in finances) its an even bigger backlash here. Hopefully things don't get too out of hand, but I guess we'll have to see if all of the so-called "revolutionaries" now are actually willing to back up their big talk (not that I think they'll accomplish anything than make themselves look worse to others if they do at this point), or if they'll be remembered as a bunch of spoiled whiners who cannot stand democratic processes that don't go their way.