Resolved - Custom Sounds

Ryan45

Question

Name: Ryan45

Type of issue: Software/Steam

Brief Description of Issue: Hey guys! I have been fighting with this issue for a little while now and I am really unclear on what the issue is or what exactly I might be doing wrong. I am trying to install some custom sounds from gamebanana.com. Per the new Steam update that messed a few things up a few years back, I am pretty sure I installed them in the right areas, etc but still having no luck with the sounds working in game.

Are there any console commands I need to enter at all to enable custom sounds? I used to do it a lot back in my CS days so I do know to do it previously, I am just unsure if maybe I am missing something here. Path for customs is located;    C: Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Day of Defeat Source/dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/sounds

I've been tried just putting them in the dod/sounds folder, with no luck. Also tried Day of Defeat Source/hl2/custom/my_custom_stuff/sounds

Thoughts on what to try? I can't figure it out. I really wouldn't really care but the Springfield and Thompson sound kind of bugs me.

Thanks in advance!

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: SSgt. R. Shank

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Shank 1st MRB
Issue resolved

7 answers to this question

Very sorry for the delayed response guys and I really appreciate these answers. I actually managed to figure it out right after I replied back here Monday night. As mentioned, the file(s) need to be in selected subfolders off of mycustomfiles. After playing around, I got the files to work in the following path.. mycustomfiles/sound/weapons. From there, I deleted the sound.cache file (whether this actually does anything or not I'm not sure, but it makes a new file every time the game is loaded..)

The only thing I can't get to work is my victory win music. I am sure I will get it figured out. I can't believe how picky it is now, it used to be so easy back in the day!

Again, thanks for all of the help you guys have been awesome and I hope this thread helps resolve some questions for others.

Hello,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod\custom\mycustomfiles

Try this directory with the "mycustomfiles" as the folder name exactly. For some reason my skins would not work unless I named the extension that exact name. I will do more research and ask around. Keep us updated if somehow this gets resolved beforehand.

Just gave that a try. No dice. Fresh install. Deleted my Day of Defeat Folder to remove any existing files I tinkered with. Unsure if it cleared any console commands or not that I tried, my keyboard settings remained the same which makes me skeptical if my console commands remained the same.

Do I need to create a sounds/weapons folder perhaps out of mycustomfiles?

These are older files but I imagine they should still work.

Thanks.

Just some 2 cents on this one. If you put the custom files you want, the files themselves, directly in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod\custom\mycustomfiles, they wont work. They need also to be in a correct path inside that folder.

For instance, to run the black nazy skin for axis the skins themselves are in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod\custom\mycustomfiles\materials\models\player\german

So they need to be in this extra path in orange to work. From mycustomfiles the folder called "sound" probably need to have the correct respective paths, just like the folder "materials".  Now, maybe googling this more specifically might help.

cheers

Ryan,

After getting some info from Britton he has brought to my attention that also maybe on our server we may not support those sounds.

What I would try is after you put the sounds in the correct sub-folders to go into a local server (creating your own where you can play bots) and see if the sounds have changed. If they have there and not on the 1st mrb server then the 1st mrb server will not support/allow those sounds.

Also don't forget to restart the game after custom file you place in the directory. Some advise restarting steam all together.

Keep us updated. I have supplied a screenshot of where you can create your own local game.

dods.jpg