Resolved - Upgrading my Computer

Samuels 1st MRB

Question

Name: J. Samuels

Type of issue: (Software, Hardware, Steam, Not sure)  Hardware/Software?

Brief Description of Issue:  So this is more of a question than an issue I am having.  Im looking to upgrade my GPU since its a really low end one that came with my PC (yeah I messed up and went pre-built instead of custom).  All the parts are AMD Im trying to keep everything uniform since I am not very experienced with building and upgrading PCs.  I have been looking mostly in the mid range graphics cards since thats my price range.  So my question I guess is how far can I push upgrading my GPU without putting too much stress on the rest of the machine?

Specs:

CPU = AMD FX-Series 4300 Quad Core

System Memory 8GB

AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB

Core Clock 780MHz

So far I have been considering:

Radeon R7 260X

Radeon R7 265

Radeon R7 370

Radeon R9 270

Any advice and help would be awesome!

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: Community - No single Person

Supporting Technician: R. Shank

Edited by Samuels 1st MRB
Resolved

Hard Drive = 1024 GB

Type = SATA

Processor Model = AMD FX-Series 4300

Speed = 3.8 gigahertz

System Memory RAM = 8GB (Expandable to 16GB) (2 memory slots)

System Memory RAM Speed = 1600 megahertz

GPU = AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB

Im not actually certain what the PSU was listed as while looking so I just put everything I thought is relevant.  I figure that with a new GPU i would need more RAM as well as a better fan to keep everything cool

PSU ='s Power supply unit. We have to know how many Watts your PSU is before you start looking at hardware so one knows if your PSU is outputting enough power to provide the graphics card with enough current and voltage. Since I know you bought a pre-built PC unless you specifically bought a unit with a larger than average PSU you maybe be running close to capacity, but let us know either way. Follow this link, I found this very helpful for reference: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

For example the R7 370 requires a 450 watt (minimum) to function properly as well as requires one extra 6pin power connection (most computers have these nowadays, if not they have 4 to 6 pins converters online)

pci power.PNG

You do not need more RAM or change anything special when doing a GPU change, all that you need to know is the maximum size the GPU can be in your case and how strong your PSU is so we don't get a card that requires to much power to run or a card thats to big to fit. 

To see how many W (Watts) your PSU is producing you need to physically open your case and look at it, there will be a label or something that tells you how many W its producing.

As for the case if you know that name for it you just tell me and I will look it up or you can measure it when you open it to look at the PSU. To measure it you go from the back where the cards are secured with a screw, to usually the HDD cage. 

If you don't understand fully what I mean we can talk on vent :)

Could you tell us what is your price range? I personally would suggest you to check out Nvidia Graphic cards. I used to have MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming and i was really satisfied with it, only reason why it is changed it because i had some spare money to buy a newer GPU. I stayed with Nvidia because they use less power and as well produce less heat. 

I am currently at school right now but when I finish my day and get home in like 5 hours ill hop on vent and we can troubleshoot it because I cannot think where i would find the information when not sitting next to the computer

Following your link Shank, my current card is recommended at 350W, but I will need to look at the PSU when I get home

Jankovski, I got a refund check recently for $350 but I dont want to spend all of it just on this because I might possibly need to upgrade the PSU if I get one thats accidentally too powerful, or do other stuff with it.  I guess if I had to say my highest it would be $250 tops.  Also I am not sure if there is any difficulty in mix and matching AMD with Nvidia and whether that might cause compatibility issues or not.

Also I just did some digging on AMDs website and I think this is the same one that I ended up buying.

http://shop.amd.com/en-us/computers/desktop/ecxBesUSecx4593000

Edited by Samuels 1st MRB

6 minutes ago, Samuels 1st MRB said:

Hmmmm that doesnt sound good......So should I replace the whole PSU or is there a better card that would have the same wattage 

If your total budget is $250 you can definitely get a new GPU and a PSU with room to spare. I'd look at the NVIDIA 10xx series or the AMD RX 4xx series, they are usually $150- $200. You can then get a bronze rated PSU with 500+ Watts for under $50. 

I would go with this one so you never have to worry about capacity again:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Bronze-Power-Supply-100-B1-0700-K1/dp/B018JYHBE6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485377982&sr=1-3&keywords=computer+power+sup

But the same supply in 500W is $40 instead of $60. So its up to you. You can get a pretty good GPU for $150-200 and $60 for the power supply and still have like a $100 left over for beer...

There shouldn't be since in the link you supplied it stated your tower was a mid-tower (standard form factor) case so everything should be standard (should be) being the the key words here. From the pictures I've found it appears it is a bottom mounted power supply which should matter to much.

And from the description the supply should have enough power cables supplied to cover all your other hardware.

Edited by Shank 1st MRB

Someone with a little tech background would be better for the GPU. I'm no pro when it comes to this. Also I don't know which motherboard you have to know if you have PCI-E ports for the GPU you might get. Marsden and Rather are good with that stuff.

30 minutes ago, Shank 1st MRB said:

Someone with a little tech background would be better for the GPU. I'm no pro when it comes to this. Also I don't know which motherboard you have to know if you have PCI-E ports for the GPU you might get. Marsden and Rather are good with that stuff.

If he has an R7 240 in there already he definitely has at least one PCI-E x16 slot so any card he is looking to get will work fine as long as he has power to support it. 

Edit: He said he has GA-78LMT-S2. That MB has 1 PCI-E x16 slot with really good clearance. The RAM is positioned in a good spot so he shouldn't have any trouble fitting most cards on the board. 

I'd really recommend looking at the Radeon RX 470. These are some good options in the $160 - $180 range:

6 minutes ago, Shank 1st MRB said:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-RX-470-ARMOR/dp/B01N3TCNNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485387706&sr=1-1&keywords=rx+470

The above card made by MSI is cheaper at amazon with free shipping.

You may find cheaper on ebay with no sales tax if you search.

Ya that's a great option. It's on par or better than the 3 I listed as well as the cheapest option. 

We were able to install his new PSU and GPU, I helped him through it on vent the other night. From what I have heard and seen he is not having any issues in Days of War anylonger and should be good to go. I'll poke him next time I see him on steam to confirm here in the thread for you Shank.