Residential school Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system

Darcy Bunker

It's very frustrating to have people in leadership roles to be so fucking IGNORANT !! 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/residential-school-system-well-intentioned-conservative-senator-1.4015115 

education is key ! learn the truth  !!! 

"didn't mean to hurt anybody." she said ! is she KIDDING !?!?!? how would anybody like to have their children taking away from them ! not knowing where they are ! lots of kids NEVER MADE IT BACK HOME ALIVE !!! they were raped, abused and murdered ! mass graves were found ! we lost our culture, language ,and identity ! we are still healing from this  !! 

if you wish to learn more , go to link below

http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/index.php?p=3 

http://www.myrobust.com/websites/trcinstitution/File/Reports/Volume_1_History_Part_1_English_Web.pdf 

Nahow Chi meegwetch ,

The Raging Bunker 

Good intentions can never hide how horrible those school were. I feel shame to have elected officials (wait... She's wasn't even elected, stupid broken system) trying to shine light upon a dark part of our history in a positive way. Sorry for the Godwin point, but it's like praising Hitler for all the jobs he created.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to come out here and dispute the fact that the Residential Schools were terrible. They fucked with the lives of a lot of people and kids, they tried to destroy an entire ancient culture of humans, and were in principle a very bad thing that deserves to be remembered and paid for.

Having said that, there is an argument to be made that the situation could have been A LOT worse, and that there is some way for the views espoused there to make sense.

A friend of mine who looked into the history said it to me like this: The guy who proposed the idea of the Residential School system was considered a "softie" on the issue for his time for believing that the "savages" could be "civilized". His opposition wanted total genocide closer to the American model, as in send in the army and extradite or kill everyone on the Reservations that they could. In that respect, it COULD be said that the people at the time had "good" intentions, in that rather than total murderous genocide they decided cultural genocide was preferable. 

Of course, looking back, we can say that either option was total shit, and that the overall outcome was still a terrible outcome because of the objective and the people involved, but in my experience, such can be said about almost ANYTHING in history, especially anything that's over 50 years old.

Again, I have sympathy for those that suffered, and I understand full well that the whole system was barbaric looking back on it. But understanding the context of the times helps understand why some people who analyze it all today could come to these sorts of conclusions when understanding these sorts of issues.

Its almost the same thing as people not understanding period pieces and why they utilize words and actions which would otherwise be unacceptable today. Such views, words, and actions were commonplace or different back then, and understanding how ones can hold such views, use these words, and perform these actions IMO is critical to achieving a deeper understanding of humanity, and these various issues themselves, as you can come to understand why people could commit these kinds of acts and still be human beings defined by their times.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to read and try to understand our situation .. I've lived on the rez for 5 yrs and have such a completely different perspective ... because i know survivors and i know / see/ feel  this impact that is still happening today ! its the ripple effect .. its called inter-generational trauma .

For us ,we are recuperating , we are healing from the lost of our cultures , lost of our identities , lost of our lands, our sacred lands , hunting grounds , languages , our ways of knowing .. imagine if it was yours ... imagine some strangers coming into your home and kidnap your kids .

Anyways the last residential school closed in 1996 , this is not 50 yrs ago man .. its still very fresh in our minds , the impact is still occurring right now as we speak ... through Indian Affairs and the Feds , provinces ... so many laws were forced on our people all across Turtle Island , we could not leave the res, we could not vote, we could not higher a lawyer to defend our rights and treaties ... we were considered Wards of state (still are)...For Native women if they married  non native men ,they would lose all their rights but this changed in the 70's , also woman were sterilized without their consent  ... over 2/3 of reserves are without clean water  TODAY , no food security TODAY  , high rate of crime, suicide , drug and alcohol abuse,  ... no proper access to health care , education etc etc .. i can go on and on . So residential schools had a fucking impact ... and its just the tip of the iceberg . 

Genocide is still happening ..  its not with guns its with disease . 

http://www.cbc.ca/8thfire/aboriginal101.html

This video link is a good start ... 

I'M in this documentary .. i was there . changed my life 

Peace peeps learn the real history of this land and acknowledge the indigenous peoples !

Chi Meegwetch

Baamaapii Miinwaa