Maps for the Pub

There are a few maps that I would love to see on the Pub.

Bayeux_b3 - Great map. I believe it is also known as Harrington. Excellent Pub map.

Solitude_Match - all other versions of Solitude are just horrific. This one has proper textures and lighting. Plays well. None of the silly MG exploits, either. It was created specifically to counter the steam-rolling Ostrich put down on a team in the glory days of CAL. Get the other one off of there and delete it. Absolute crap.

Link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3p5p25u2jrjm70z/dod_solitude_match.bsp?dl=0

Vanguard_b5 and Venteux_Final - both personal favorites. If they can't be on the pub, they could be excellent on the private.

• 1 month later...

The Major is on an ELOA but I know in the past we strictly have stuck to stock maps for a few reasons. One, people do not know the map name when they see it on the list and either do not want to mess with learning it or want to wait on it to download. Another reason is all the research done by the command staff over the years showed the traffic drastically decreased when a custom map was tried out in rotation (hence we always go to Donner when the pub is low, usually after or during a custom) I understand and want diversity myself on the pub, theres a few maps I am not fond of, but even maps people think run people away usually fill out the numbers, Colmar comes to mind. People always say they hate it (Its actually my favorite, heh) but looking at the server it almost always fills it up. So, when the Major gets back he will give it some more thought, but thats the reasons in the past I can remember we didn't use them. Hope it helps.

51 minutes ago, Candy 1st MRB said:

The Major is on an ELOA but I know in the past we strictly have stuck to stock maps for a few reasons. One, people do not know the map name when they see it on the list and either do not want to mess with learning it or want to wait on it to download. Another reason is all the research done by the command staff over the years showed the traffic drastically decreased when a custom map was tried out in rotation (hence we always go to Donner when the pub is low, usually after or during a custom) I understand and want diversity myself on the pub, theres a few maps I am not fond of, but even maps people think run people away usually fill out the numbers, Colmar comes to mind. People always say they hate it (Its actually my favorite, heh) but looking at the server it almost always fills it up. So, when the Major gets back he will give it some more thought, but thats the reasons in the past I can remember we didn't use them. Hope it helps.

I'd like to clarify a few things here because I think people may be misinformed. 

There have never been restrictions that just stuck to stock maps on the pub, ONLY the map cycle. There is a difference. There have always been custom maps on the pub server, including the maps listed by Dillon. Custom maps on the pub are fun to have and a must just to change things up from time to time. An admin always had the ability to switch the map as long as there were enough players to support it (i.e. 25+ players).

The request made by Dillon in late March should have been addressed a long time ago. It takes 5 minutes to put these maps on the pub and fast downloads server. It shouldn't take this long to reply or address the question. Come on guys get it done.

• Upvote 2

Sorry for the delay Dillon. Life has been hectic and I've finally got some time to sit down with Johnson to go over adding maps.

Maps I've added.
Grainvillage

Harrington

Soilitude (Your version)

Bayeux.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this map. As for Donner Tank5, you need to provide a link so I'm not wasting my time searching game banana for it. As for the ones Dillon listed, they were in our raider approved section in the ordnance office so I didn't have to dig to much. If you provide a link I'll go over the map and see if its worthy to be on our server.

To confirm, dod_donner_tank5 is the map where allies are tasked with progressive objective destruction allowing the Sherman tank to move forward to axis spawn correct?

If it is I know this is a map we had used previously for platoon practices to help foster more in depth communication on defense when having to rally back during an unexpected retreat, think it could maybe be a good pub map but don't know how well the general pubber is going to react to such a purely objective styled map.

Link to Gamebanana for the map:

http://gamebanana.com/maps/166894

Additionally this map is not on the Raider Approved listing. I will work on rectifying that this weekend if I can.

4 hours ago, Gardner 1st MRB said:

Hell's Highway one of the best maps ever, we need this back as a custom option! 

This would definitely be a great one to add to customs! Might I also suggest possibly reworking rotation again. If we can't switch out maps and least order?

• 2 years later...

I would also like to request that dod_switchback be added to the list of available custom maps that can be chosen by admin.  To clarify, not requesting change to rotation; only that it be added to the server so if it gets enough votes, we can play it.

Here is the download link for the server administrator to add it to the pub, if request is approved: http://www.dodbits.com/dods/index.php/downloads/download/18-dods-classic-map-ports/186-dod-switchback-b1

Thanks 1st MRB for the consideration and smooth running server.