World Cup 2018, what are your picks?

Candy 1st MRB

I predict that the semi-finals will consist of the following teams: France, Germany, Argentina, and Belgium. 

In the semi-finals France will play against Belgium and win and Germany will play against Argentina and win. 

The finals will probably come down to France vs Germany with Germany winning. 

My #1 pick for the winner is Germany, my #2 pick is Argentina, and my #3 pick is France. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very late, as the 1st round is almost over, but here are my bets:
Final match: England x Spain
Champion: Spain

-------------------------------- CUT HERE <follows the long version and the boring details...> --------------------------------

The other 2 teams on the semi-finals will be France and Belgium (they have way less chances than England and Spain though)

If, by chance or by design, England ends up as #2 on their group after tomorrow's match against Belgium, then they'll face Spain on the semi-finals, and the final will be France x Spain, again with Spain winning.

Teams that are always considered favorites but won't win this Cup or even reach the semi-finals: Brazil (if somehow they manage to beat Mexico, will lose the next game to England or Belgium), Argentina (will lose to France), Germany (oh Germany is gone already!)

Since the 2014 World Cup (of which I saw all matches) I only saw 16 football matches: the first 16 of this World Cup (yes, in their entirety, even the boring bits). All my bets were established after those matches and are solely based on them. I remember briefly discussing this with Ripley while those matches were still going, I was already stating my bets for Spain and England, and saying that neither Brazil nor Germany would win the Cup! I'm sticking to all that!

If anyone is wondering, the reason why I watched so few matches (being a Brazilian, from the "football country") and abandoned this World Cup after the first 16 matches is because football is not played anymore. What the teams are playing now should be called "who can fool the referee?". Players now are mostly acting, diving and trying to find new ways to cheat with time/fouls/cards, etc., it's really really disgusting. I had already abandoned the Brazilian leagues/championships way before 2014. The "video referee" thing helped and is welcome, but it is far from being enough. The next football match that I'll watch will have to have a different rule: "the clock stops every time the ball is out of play". This is being considered by IFAB, but I really doubt that they'll implement this anytime soon (I think some 8 years+ from now).

(For more info on this and other nice changes being evaluated by IFAB for football, check the "Play Fair" proposal (June 2017) at https://www.play-fair.com/)

PS: Ripley, you're right (but only for the final match)! And unfortunately Iran is gone already Keith... :(