Pending Reply- PC Restarting or turning off unexpectedly

Samuels 1st MRB

Question

Name: J. Samuels

Type of issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue:

So for about the past month or so my computer has decided that it wants to restart out of nowhere.  Today, it just up and turned off mid game and when I rebooted it it did the same thing while rebooting.  

I'm wondering whether there may be something wrong with a fan and this is an overheating issue.  Any advice? 

If it is a fan issue, are there any easy fixes or would I need to start replacing parts

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician:

Supporting Technician: J. Candy

6 answers to this question

I really like Corsair parts, they're probably the top line right now for auxiliary parts. Doesn't hurt I get a discount from them usually via vendor connections. 

However, 60mm is kinda out-dated so you actually typically don't have a whole lot of choices. Just make sure you find one that fits your socket. Typically it is better to shop for CPU coolers via CPU socket, as a lot of modern ones can extend the fan out separate via internal watercooling pumps.

For example, we'll use my current cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060025-WW-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520277517&sr=1-7&keywords=cpu+cooler

As part of the specs, it lists the sockets: Modular, tool-free mounting bracket for installation on Intel LGA 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3 and most modern CPUs. (I have Intel) The smaller portion is the part that applies to the actual CPU. The fans attach to the outside of the case. Liquid is regulated internally so I don't have to do any fidgeting with liquid myself. So basically, although right over the cpu itself can't fit a large fan, I can still get decent cooling space. Of course, if your machine is super old to have a 60mm cpu cooler, then it might be a tight case anyways.

Other option that highlights the same idea: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060007-WW-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520277517&sr=1-5&keywords=cpu+cooler

If you really need the 60mm size: https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Aluminum-Structure-Connector-Internal/dp/B079RMM25W/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520278055&sr=1-6&keywords=60mm+cpu+cooler

Thermal Compound if you need it (a lot of them don't come with it) https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ORACO-MX40001-BL-Compound-Performance-Interface/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520277517&sr=1-13&keywords=cpu%2Bcooler&th=1

One tube of it lasts ages.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

HWMonitor can help to identify if a part is overheating. If your rig is modern, there are times that fans will not run and that's OK. My GPU fans don't come on until the GPU is under strain, same with the CPU cooler.

Based on your description, you might think about a PSU issue. If the machine just powers off and has trouble rebooting, your power supply might have an issue. I'm currently fixing a friend's computer with a similar issue. If you are computer savvy enough to replace your PSU, and are confident enough it's a PSU problem, here's a recommendation: Go to your local Best Buy (or store with a similar return policy), purchase a PSU slightly better than the one you currently own. Install it (install can be messy, leave it easy to remove), and do some high power tasks/activities. If the PC shuts off, PSU is not the problem. If the problem is not occurring, almost certainly a PSU issue. If it doesn't solve the issue, remove the PSU, replace the original, and return to your retailer. Places like Best Buy have 15-day return policies, so just get the money back and use them as a test monkey.

Your other main issue might be a CPU heat issue. HWMonitor will give you some good idea of what temps you're looking at. I recall having a CPU overheat issue, I was getting upwards of 90C. Turned out the CPU Cooler's pump wasn't working correctly so the liquid cooling portion of just the CPU cooler was not functioning. Hard to diagnose without looking at the temps. You can report back temps to see if it's too high. CPU max should be like 60C.

Take a look at all your parts and verify warranties for RMA as well. Many auxiliary parts like PSU, coolers, or fans have 5 year warranties.

This response might be a little random seeming, but your initial description unfortunately leaves a lot of room for what could be going on. Could be literally any part in the PC, except probably the GPU, HDD (SSD), or sound card.

The PSU is about a year old so I don't think it could be that.  I think it is a matter of the CPU/motherboard overrheating due to the CPU fan not running fast enough (probably a motor problem)

The CPU temps were running around 60-80 and the motherboard was running around 70-100.

Any recommendation for a 60mm CPU fan?  I'm not really knowledgable about quality computer stuff and Im trying to avoid ending up buying something new that might be junk

Edited by Samuels 1st MRB

Yeah I guess thats helpful.  Problem is that my motherboard is kinda a piece of crap so im not sure whether I would be able to fit something like that onto it.  But thanks for the help Kirk, i'm gonna try and buy a cheap similar fan/heat sink to see if that will do the fix before shelling out more money