Crash or something after windows update

Guest Boone 1st MRB

Question

Guest Boone 1st MRB

So my dad's computer had to update this morning. He says it was just a casual windows update, when it was done, it turned to blue screen, he had to choose keyboard settings and then this came up.

image.png

I tried setting the pc back to windows version it was before update but there was no returning point. Pc is like a year old and barely used. 

anyone here who can help me out with this? 

3 answers to this question

Guest Boone 1st MRB

My dad brought it to a friend and that guy managed to fix it. Apperantly the laptop battery died the moment a big update was going on. All programs were lost, files could be repaired. the guy changed something in settings so now windows won't update when the battery isn't loading. thanks for the advice Yamagata, i'd never been able to do any of that stuff tho. Total idiot with computers :p. 

If you don't have any restore points, you're going to have a real tough time fixing things...  Windows is supposed to create a restore point before beginning major updates, but if it was a minor one that just so happened to fail catastrophically, it's rare, but coming back from it (if at all) is going to be rough.

The simplest thing to do would be to try the Repair option in the troubleshooting section, you have a 1 in 5 chance it fixes something, but it's worth a try.  The next simplest step would be to Reset Windows in the same section, just note that this will uninstall all apps and programs and he will need to re-install everything (be sure to have product keys and licences available), this lets you "keep files" so you keep all personal data.

If you want to get more technical, you can try a portable OS, like Mini-WindowsXP, Linux, or Windows-to-Go and attempt some file system repairs, or at least grab a backup of any files that are still on the drive.  If you can get a command prompt up, a simple chkdsk /f /r might help, but you really need to verify your windows files, so SFC and DISM repairs are your windows tools-of-choice.  It seems to be booting into something Windows, so you probably don't need to fix your MBR, but that's another option you have.  This is all definitely more involved and you'll need to do some google research on how to get that done, unless you can get one of these fine MSO Technicians to help you out!

Good luck buddy!