Constant frame rate drops

C. Small 1st MRB

Question

So I upgraded about 8 months ago to a new processor and graphics card , since i've done that then I keep getting constant frames drop (drops to about 2 frames for 5 seconds) , this happens in every game I play no matter the age of the game or requirements, to try and resolve it i've had it cleaned and new thermal paste applied so i'm really at a lose as to the issue also it seems to be getting worse.

Specs

-RX480 graphics card

-Intel I5 CPU

-16g ram

-Windows 10

-Up to date driver version

-Water and air cooling

Edited by C. Small 1st MRB

7 answers to this question

Go through and do a driver check on your CPU and GPU if you haven't already. Additionally check to see if "Windows Game Mode" is enabled, if it is disable it and check to see if the issue persists.

Also does the issue occur whilst in windowed mode?

Addendum: Small is currently testing to see if windows game mode was the issue or not.  Preliminary testing shows improvement to the issue in two games as of the time of this posting. 

14 hours ago, Marsden 1st MRB said:

At this time I would recommend performing a clean boot of Windows in order to rule out individual non-OS services and applications may be contributing to the issue as you have already covered overheat, cabling, drivers, etc.

Also as a CYA as well have you disabled antivirus to test this?

Have attempted testing with a clean boot and didnt notice any change , also tested anti virus still no difference.

Hmm okay, so the lack of any change during testing during a Windows Clean Boot rules out conflicting settings from software/registry errors and is usually indicative of some form of hardware issue as the root cause. As discussed with you previously, it could be low or fluctuating levels of amperage being delivered to your chip-sets. In the event that your replacement power-cable does not resolve the issue, I would recommend asking your local computer shop to test the set up utilizing a different Power Supply Unit.

After eliminating PSU and PSU-Cable as root issues (the outlined course of action will also rule out your PSU umbilici as source of issue as in order to test an alternate PSU you have to use alternate umbilici), I would test an alternate GPU to ensure that your upgrade was not a lemon.

• Thanks 1

Small,

Hardware side :

Can you tell us what motherboard you are using and also which PCI-e slot you are using on there for the graphics card?  

Can you also tell us what model of power supply you have and how many watts? 

Windows side :

After you did the clean boot, did you install any 3rd party graphics apps (ie : Afterburner or Asus)   or did you just install drivers and try to run a game?

Are you running the drivers that came with the card or downloaded through windows/website?