What I learned in the 1st

A. Martin

So here's a game we're gonna play. It's been a long time since I've been here, but I think this place could use a post like this. So I'm gonna tell you youngins a story. 

So, way back when, when there was a 2nd Platoon floating around, I got promoted to 2nd Platoon Clerk. And thing was, I was a pretty young fucker who had no idea what he was doing. Well, like one or two weeks in, none of the higher ups for 2nd Platoon showed up. I'm freaking out, right? I'm losing my shit because I don't know how the hell we're gonna have a practice with no one but me to run things. So I run to Johnson (He was a Major at the time, I think) and I beg him to run the practice for me. He doesn't even hesitate; his first response is "No. I'll be there to help but you're running this practice." If I was freaking out before, I'm utterly lost. So I cobble together whatever I could for a practice, knowing the next realism around the corner is gonna be on this one map. I put this practice together inside of fifteen minutes, and it happens. I don't let a single person know it, but I'm freaking out the whole time. 

Afterward, I ask Johnson how he thought I did, and he goes "You did pretty good for your first time," or something like that. And I've never felt better in my life. After a couple months, I keep getting promoted, and 2nd Platoon becomes MY platoon. I'm the Platoon Commander, and I had a really good staff underneath me. For a while, we had the most attended practices in the unit. Even 1st and 3rd Platooners would show up, and we'd do full 16v16 practices. I've never been as proud as I was looking out and seeing a full server.

So what I learned in the 1st, is how to lead. It isn't about being good at it from the outset. It's about stepping up when you need to, and sorting things out. You might not do a good job, but you're doing the job, and that's what counts. After that, I was never as hesitant to lead. If it needed to be done I'd step up, and I wouldn't have been able to without the 1st.

• Upvote 1

We miss you, and we miss those practices. I loved my time as your Platoon Clerk when we did all the re organization of the platoon. Its nice to see you around here, you were always inspiring people to work hard. I´ve learned a lot from you, will never forget you and 2nd Platoon, the best platoon that ever existed in the unit!

Well, we can see that Martin never learned the true art of subtlety XD.

It's honestly hard to pick out what I learned to while part of the Unit. As probably the youngest person to hit the rank of commissioned officer back when I left (for those of you who don't know me, I enlisted in the unit the DAY of my 16th birthday and made 2ndLt. by the time I was 18 or 19.), at the time I was also in JROTC in high school. Leadership was something I was able to put into practice on two fronts and learned it from two different perspectives back then. 

I learned to lead, learned to follow, learned to adapt and overcome what were considered insurmountable odds. I learned enough that people here thought I should teach those who would be the future of the unit (I was DI back then). I learned to make friends and that no matter whether we won or lost a realism, if I had had fun; I had won.

In my tenure with the 1st, I had been part of every platoon. Even 3rd platoon before it was 3rd platoon, 1/3 is what it was back then. Though 2nd Platoon was my home for a particularly long time, I'll can never forgot the all the lessons learned and people met along the way.

Though I do still have 1 unanswered question to this day, What ever happened to Smokey Jones? God I miss that laugh.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Recent Posts

• Welcome to the 1st Marine Raider Battalion! Now that you have been accepted don't forget to: 1. Check in at the Recruit Depot 2. Read the Marine Raider Handbook (you are expected to know everything in it) 3. Change your steam friends Avatar 4. Download, install and log into Discord NOTE: Please be aware that you will not have access to the above links until an officer has given you full access to the forum. Access to the forum should be given to you within the next day.
    • MARINE CORPS ENLISTMENT OFFICE Camp Pendleton, CA   RECRUITMENT LETTER     Hello Ricky Cooper, Thank you for taking interest in joining the 1st Marine Raider Battalion.   During your trial period the following will occur: Once accepted as a Recruit, you will remain as a Recruit for 2 weeks from the day of your acceptance until the next BCT Class is offered. During your time as a recruit, it is highly encouraged to play within the Public Server and join Discord with our other members. Upon acceptance, you will be contacted by one of our DIs when the next available BCT is scheduled via the appropriate Discord channel. We have a BCT class run approximately every two weeks.  Should you have any questions you have about our unit, alternate times for your BCT, or just rules in general, you should contact our Hell Let Loose DIs: Cpl. Harding, TSgt. Muthas, WO. Belcher or CWO. Warren   Do not hesitate to reach out to our Drill Instructors for additional information. They can be reached through the Forum Private Messaging System most reliably (click the envelope next to their name above) and via Discord.   Upon stating that you understand all the information here, an admin will change your forum name and login to be :   Cooper 1st MRB   Take the time now to change your Steam and in-game name to:   Rec. R. Cooper [1st MRB]   Please make sure to verify your forum account by checking your email. Also, please respond below with a reply showing that you have read and understand these rules. You cannot be fully accepted until you do so. We have a limit on the time to reply, if you do not do so within 48 hours, your application will be denied. Once you reply, you will be approved for your trial period unless otherwise posted.  
    • Application View Application Status Ricky Cooper Submitted 05/12/2024 07:22 PM Name Ricky Cooper Timezone America/New_York Country United States Additional Application Fields Please indicate platform type, Steam or PC Game pass Steam Steam ID (Use the 17-digit steamID64) / PC Game Pass account username xXHidden_BladeXx Age 25 Location Virginia U.S. Do you have a microphone? Yes Discord is a requirement, do you currently have discord installed? Yes What is your current discord name being used in the MRB Discord at the time of application? xXHiddenBladeXx Which game are you applying for? (Day of Defeat: Source/Hell Let Loose) Hell Let Loose If you've selected Hell Let Loose, do you understand that this game is currently not cross platform capable and only PC players currently may apply? ( Steam or PC Game Pass) Yes Why do you wish to join the 1st Marine Raiders? Just got the game and saw a Marine Milsim, figured it would be a good time Did any of our current members play a part in you enlisting? If so, who? TSgt. Muthas This unit offers more than just a place to play games with each other, do you have any online skills you think would be useful? Currently No Do you have any Leadership experience that you think will be helpful? As a previous member of LSMC, the highest position held was as a Plt Sgt (Sgt) for over a year of gaming. IRL I am currently active duty 0311, filling the role as a team leader, and previously APL in my squad in recent opperations. Have you ever been in a realism unit before, and if so, which unit was it? I have on playstation, Los Santos Marine Corps (LSMC) How did you hear about us? Randomly joined server on HLL By posting this Enlistment form, I acknowledge the instructions completely, declare that I am 16 years old or older, and agree that I have and will follow server and unit rules maturely and respectfully or face immediate rejection. Yes
    • Name: genz sucks B====D 100 ON GOD   Steam I.D: STEAM_0:1:14699459   Duration of Ban: Permanent   Reasons for the Ban: Racism   Demo Provided?: N   Comments: Said the no-no F word, and when warned over the mic, proceeded with the N word. Have attached screenshot