Pending - DoD stops out of nothing.

Deconinck

Question

For a few weeks i have a major problem.
My DoD stop's out of nothing every time since e few weeks.
No warning, just back to desktop.
Some things a noticed:
1. It's mostly in about 20 min in gameplay. (map change doesn't affect it)

2. Is have mcAfee  on my pc and everyday it asks to 'allow' or 'Block' 'gameoverlay...'
Toughts and any solutions?

Thanks!

Edited by Deconinck 1st MRB

Hello Deconinck. A technician will be with you very soon. A few questions, 1) when you get the notification from McAfee how do you respond? Do you accept or deny. 2) Do you have any other background software that might block this and 3)Do you have auto updates on for steam or any other program?

In addition to what Captain Candy asked, have you tried running the game without McAfee running at all (i.e. disable the mcafee service via task manager)?

Also spontaneous application crashes are often a symptom of overheat issues. Try cleaning your heat-sinks and fans, ensure that none of them are frozen/locked.

If these steps do not aid in resolving the issue please let us know and we will continue to aid in troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, Marsden 1st MRB said:

In addition to what Captain Candy asked, have you tried running the game without McAfee running at all (i.e. disable the mcafee service via task manager)?

Also spontaneous application crashes are often a symptom of overheat issues. Try cleaning your heat-sinks and fans, ensure that none of them are frozen/locked.

If these steps do not aid in resolving the issue please let us know and we will continue to aid in troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, Candy 1st MRB said:

Hello Deconinck. A technician will be with you very soon. A few questions, 1) when you get the notification from McAfee how do you respond? Do you accept or deny. 2) Do you have any other background software that might block this and 3)Do you have auto updates on for steam or any other program?

What was the results/answers to these questions?

I really don't think it has something to do with heat issues.
I played it with mcafee out and it was fine...
it's always the 'gameoverlayui.exe' that's the problem.
I already give it permission to start, give it a go for the firewall en so on...
but, i read something about i should do it as 'administrator'.
I'm the only user of this pc, sow how the f*ck can't i not be the admin...

getting really pissed about it.
But thx guys for the help!!!

I've posted it here before but that post bleed to death. DoD crashes every so often. Usually every 20 min.

What have I already done:

- Files checked via steam

- Virus scanner turned off (mcafee)

- Game overlay turned off.

- Updated video card drivers.

-Steam and DoD reinstalled.

But still it crashes ... SgtMaj. Vicari has viewed my desktop via team view and turned things on or off.

Someone an idea because it sucks incredibly.

Edited by Vicari 1st MRB

still crashing.

1) when you get the notification from McAfee how do you respond? Do you accept or deny
Sometimes i have a notification that asks me to deny or accept 'gameoverlay'. But not Always. Already did the overlay on or off while playing.

2) Do you have any other background software that might block this and: Maybe... But Vicari has been looking for it sow normally it has to be ok.

3)Do you have auto updates on for steam or any other program? Steam auto updates indeed. Other programs: Some of them.

Next time the game crashes please open the Windows Event Viewer and provide the application crash log so we can review more fully, unless you think you can find the last one (know specifically what time the crash occurred) it is easier to locate a very recent event then going through all the Windows Application Event Logs.

To open Windows Event Viewer:

Open Start Menu

Type in "Event viewer"

Open the application

On 4/28/2020 at 11:51 PM, Deconinck 1st MRB said:

I've posted it here before but that post bleed to death. DoD crashes every so often. Usually every 20 min.

What have I already done:

- Files checked via steam

- Virus scanner turned off (mcafee)

- Game overlay turned off.

- Updated video card drivers.

-Steam and DoD reinstalled.

But still it crashes ... SgtMaj. Vicari has viewed my desktop via team view and turned things on or off.

Someone an idea because it sucks incredibly.

Have you downloaded any mods or something? My game was used to crash when I had sound mods or skin mods.

Try adding an exception for Steam or libraryfolders on your antivirus. I had War Thunder and My AV deleted the .EXE file because it had 'sort of' Virus Activities.

I hope you have USB and Sound Drivers updated.

That's what I can say for now.

Hope your issue gets solved soon.

Opened 'Event Viewer' and this is what it says:

Naam van toepassing met fout: hl2.exe, versie: 0.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x5d799711
Naam van module met fout: KERNELBASE.dll, versie: 10.0.18362.778, tijdstempel: 0x692cf0ab
Uitzonderingscode: 0xe06d7363
Foutmarge: 0x00114192
Id van proces met fout: 0x43f4
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d620b3574fb436
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\hl2.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Rapport-id: b39140e5-b011-40f9-9a26-73670e9af129
Volledige pakketnaam met fout: 
Relatieve toepassings-id van pakket met fout

5 hours ago, Deconinck 1st MRB said:

And what can i do about that? Already installed DoD again few days ago.

Driver issue is difficult to diagnose without the machine in front of us.

Lets assume its got something to do with old and new just not getting along.

Go to;

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\username here\Day of Defeat Source\bin

• delete a file called vidcfg.bin (delete from recycling bin too)
  • Create a new vidcfg.bin folder
  • Change colour quality to 16-bit; it will likely be set to 32-bit

Fingers crossed.

Edit:

Have you tried running the game without the use of any kind of overlay?

Turn off Discord and disable any kind of overlay from your video card and see if that has an impact.

I think you're exactly right, it's the overlay fighting with another that's creating this complication. Exactly what we're seeing here is the Steam Overlay that you use to talk to friends etc is failing and instead of restarting properly like it should you're getting CTD.

I want you to disable every single overlay you can think of.

If you have MSI Afterburner, EVGA PrecisionX, or any program similar; these have overlays that have been known to cause miscommunication with the Steam Overlay.

Turn off any peripheral monitoring tools, like iCue, Steelseries software, Razer software.

Do you remember if anything changed when this all started? I'm wondering if a peripheral software or firmware update may have caused this.

Edited by Marketfresh

Additionally you can reinstall the software encountering a driver error an infinite number of times to have the problem re-present an equally infinite number of times if you did not update/re-install the driver having the issue. Kernel.dll is the file that references all your active drivers in windows

So I would recommend trying marketfresh's steps and then if needed try uninstalling your driver's and reinstall them. Star with graphics drivers, work your way to storage/sound. Will most likely be graphics though 

• Upvote 1

Kernel.DLL is a system file so let's be careful with it. 

Had a virus entered your computer before you began noticing such issues? Because if kernel.dll is corrupt then it can stop programs from being stable. 

Did you encounter such an issue while playing other games(except day of defeat)?

@Marketfresh: Read above, I put out the steam Overlay, Discord. I don't think i have others

@Mister WWII: I don't play any other games... sow, i don't know.

I really think it has something to do with Kernell.dll. Search on internet and there are many people have issues with it.
First gonna try your solution Marketfresh... we'll see. Fingers crossed.

23 hours ago, Marketfresh said:

Driver issue is difficult to diagnose without the machine in front of us.

Lets assume its got something to do with old and new just not getting along.

Go to;

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\username here\Day of Defeat Source\bin

• delete a file called vidcfg.bin (delete from recycling bin too)
  • Create a new vidcfg.bin folder
  • Change colour quality to 16-bit; it will likely be set to 32-bit

Fingers crossed.

Edit:

Have you tried running the game without the use of any kind of overlay?

Turn off Discord and disable any kind of overlay from your video card and see if that has an impact.

I think you're exactly right, it's the overlay fighting with another that's creating this complication. Exactly what we're seeing here is the Steam Overlay that you use to talk to friends etc is failing and instead of restarting properly like it should you're getting CTD.

I want you to disable every single overlay you can think of.

If you have MSI Afterburner, EVGA PrecisionX, or any program similar; these have overlays that have been known to cause miscommunication with the Steam Overlay.

Turn off any peripheral monitoring tools, like iCue, Steelseries software, Razer software.

Do you remember if anything changed when this all started? I'm wondering if a peripheral software or firmware update may have caused this.

How do i create a bin file?