[Resolved] A New Computer Build

Candy 1st MRB

Question

Name: James Candy

Type of issue: (Software, Hardware, Steam, Not sure) Hardware

Brief Description of Issue: 

Would like some advice on a new computer build with an economical price. I don’t mind to use some of the stuff I already have like hard drives, power supplies or even video card. I need the best I can get of the core parts (MOBO, Ram and Processor) for less than $600. Below I have listed my computer build from 2012

1 x ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

1 x Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I52500K Desktop Processor

1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

1 x EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GTX 970

1 x Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)

1 x Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

1 x LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature SATA IHBS112-04 - OEM

1 x Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case       

1 x CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC ...         

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit – OEM

Windows 10

Preferred place to buy is Newegg or Amazon

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: TSgt. Flores

Supporting Technician: -

Edited by Flores 1st MRB

3 answers to this question

Guest Flores 1st MRB

@Candy 1st MRB, there are good things on that list, but other very old ones like the 1600Mhz DDR3 ram or the motherboard.
I would still use the same hard drives, cabinet and power supply. Use the SSD to boot windows and the HD to save files. 

The rest, I would recommend the following:

CPU: $ 294
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism Cooler 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLPK/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_rS5AFbHYAPS93 

MOBO: $188

Asus AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX motherboard with PCIe 4.0  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXF8GY3/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_FM5AFbXFAJDFK

RAM: $66
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_ZQ5AFbE6312NW

Total price: $548

In relation to the actual video card, it will generate a big bottleneck, because the GTX 970 is old, and your new motherboard and processor will be much more modern and powerfull. You can get good/cheap alternatives like the GTX 1650 Super, for 170 + - dollars

Any question you have, let me know.

Edited by Flores 1st MRB

@Candy 1st MRB

Hey Candy,

Flores is spot on with his recommendations and pricing. I plan on upgrading to an rtx 3080 or 3070 as soon as I can get my hands on one. That being said, I will have a perfectly good Gtx 1070 that won't have a home. I don't mind selling it to you for super cheap if you're looking to upgrade. Just food for thought!