Tabletop Painting - yes or no?

Hellenstone

Hey unit members.

Beside PC gaming I'm a big lover of board games. I own a quite large collection of casual board games.

Beside these spcasual titles there's one game brand I love as board and PC version: BLOOD BOWL!

The versions of BB I own come wir unpainted mixtures as all Warhammer table top games. And here the problems starts...

I think about starting to paint the miniatures like it can be seen in countless YT Tutorials videos. But these guys are all long-time painters and now I'm afraid to blow money and spent time just to riuny game miniatures with an awful paintjob at the end...

What about you guys?

Do you paint miniatures?

Does anyone have some beginner tips and words?

• Like 1

I have painted a few Star Wars figures as well as built and painted several Gundam figures. My best advice from my experience is take your time and expect to mess it up. I want to say my first 5-6 looked okay but not perfect, I purchased a small model brush kit at a local hobby store and the different sized brushes helped a lot. Another tip is a good light source as well as a base you are not afraid to get paint on as this speeds up the process a bit. Once you get the practice in it becomes very enjoyable but as it is time consuming I often find its hard to find the time to sit down and work on one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vides 1st MRB said:

There's no such thing as a bad paint job in art.

That's exactly the point I'm really afraid of...

Having this great master piece painted figures in mind and ending with a miniature that looks like painted from my 3 year old boy in Kindergarden.

I've also done multiple gundam kits and painted a whole warhammer 40k army. I'll post some pictures when I pull them out of storage.

It's easier than you might think to get decent quality but it's also easy to get discouraged by looking at the pros. There are some good warhammer videos on youtube that helped me a lot. Basically, base coat, highlights, wash, weather. Then if you want to make it fancy, go back and add small details. The key is to just start! It's only paint! You can always either paint over a mistake or strip off all the paint and start again. Any miniature will look better with a base coat rather than no paint at all and remember while playing the game people won't be 2 inches away from your figurine so too much time spent on super fine details won't matter unless your looking to take up close pictures.

I would suggest going on Amazon or something like this, perhaps even a hobby or craft shop in your town and browse for a general purpose model brush kit, will usually have 6-10 different size brushes for some of the finer details. Also a package of paint you can usually get 3-5 different colours in a pack or just buy them separate. 

Thats my goal:

grafik.png

At the moment they look like that:

grafik.png

I did some research and found a German internet shop.

Now the hard thing to decide what to buy...

My list looks like this:

1) Army Painter Hobby Set (includes 10 colors, side cutter and 3 brushes)

2) Vallejo Hobby Primer Premium Grey

3) Vallejo Premium Varnish Spray Satin

4) Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone Ink

5) some kind of brush cleaner soap

grafik.png

Unsure if it worth the money:

a) Citadel Paining Handle => or use a wood stick or something?

b) Citadel Water Pot => it's not more expensive than a good one from the hobby store or borough my daughter's?

c) Wet Palette => use paper towels and baking paper instead?

Edited by Asal 1st MRB

Nice! The army painter set is good value and the paints are decent. The main thing are the brushes. I wouldn't buy all the extra stuff like water pot or wet palette as it's really easy to just make your own with stuff around the house so instead invest your money into quality brushes. The best brushes I've used are the ones from Citadelle which are more expensive but showed in the results. Vallejo paints are really good and some are on par with Citadelle paints. Citadelle paints being my favorite but yes, they cost considerably more. The nice thing is the figures you referenced can all be achieved with base colors. If you are looking to get some of those fine details, I'd recommend a magnifying glass on a stand and good lighting.

The good thing is that I own 2 seasons of Blitz Bowl board games, so I have the human team twice.

So I can start it on one of the these two teams first and have the other 3 teams (1x human, 1x dwarf, 1x orcs) good if something goes wrong...

And I'm really afraid cause the miniatures are soooooo small.

But I did not hit the ORDER button yet...

Edited by Asal 1st MRB

Finally! Order placed 2 minutes ago:

grafik.png

grafik.png

At the end I decided to go with the varnish and primer for brush used, noz the spray version.

The Citadel Water Pot seems a good value for money with it's brush forming tools.

The wet pallette will be a self made in a pladtic lunch boy with baking paper.