Touchpad not working after Windows update

Race

Question

Hello MSO,

I have a Lenovo Legion Y545 laptop. After a Windows update last Thursday, my touchpad no longer works. I tried updating the drivers, but it says there are no updates available. Luckily I have a wireless mouse that I normally use anyway, but when I want to take my computer somewhere where I can't use the mouse (i.e. bed to watch a movie or something) I'm screwed. I've tried searching on the Lenovo support forum with no luck. I appreciate any input. Thanks!!

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick reply Major

Miraculously, it fixed itself <_<

But I did check the device manager prior to posting and checked for updated drivers, everything checked out. I also have one of those hot key functions to lock it and I made sure it was off. Damn PC's!

Thank you again!!

Name: Z. Race

Type of issue: Hardware
Brief Description of Issue: Touchpad not working after updates

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***
Current Status:
Resolved

Main Technician: J. Flores

Supporting Technician: C. Marsden

Can you confirm if the touchpad is reporting in your device manager after the updates or if it is no longer showing up there either?

There are two easy ways to get to the device manager:

Right-Click your start icon and then select Device Manager (keyboard hotkey sequence is Win+X and then M), or to open the start menu and type in "Device Manager" and open the app from there. The hard way is to go to Control Panel and dive down to the Device Manager, don't do that, it's not 2003 lol.

I know that on my Acer gaming laptop I have a hotkey combination (Fn+F7) to disable the touchpad on the fly, can you check to see if your F# keys show any icons that look like a pointing hand superimposed on a rectangle on it? If there is one try pressing that with the Fn key held down and test for functionality.

When was the last time you know the touchpad was fully functional? Do you have a restore point on within the OS for that date or prior?