Issues with lag on server

Annihilator

For months now I seem to have problems while playing on your server, I continuously get 2-3 seconds of lag, where the game freezes up, I warp back 5 feet or so, and afterwards the player models either ragdoll, or people begin fast crawling, or do not appear at all, or appear in one location but actually are in another.  A simple starting and stopping of a demo solves that problem, however its the lag that is frustrating me.  I have attached a screenshot of the chart I have gotten from ping plotter, I am not overly techy when it comes to networking, so I am hoping someone can help me figure out what the problem is.  I am running on a fiber internet connection and live in Michigan just for a little more info on distance to server etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ping trace.jpg

Hey Annihilator, a few questions to ask yourself about this issue.

1. Are you on wired or wireless internet?

2. What is the distance from your wireless router to your computer?

3, Is your internet throttled by many people using the same line?

4: Does your computer meet the minimum specs for Day of Defeat?

5. What video card do you have and are your drivers up to date? Is it a laptop with onboard video card?

6. How old is your computer, Processor, ram, hard drive type?

I realize that Day of Defeat is old but many people do not have updated computers even to handle its old specs. Just thought I'd ask before we go further.

Hey Annihilator, a few questions to ask yourself about this issue.

1. Are you on wired or wireless internet? Wired

2. What is the distance from your wireless router to your computer? N/A

3, Is your internet throttled by many people using the same line? Not particularly.  There are two people in the household

4: Does your computer meet the minimum specs for Day of Defeat? Yes, the PC is relatively new

5. What video card do you have and are your drivers up to date? Is it a laptop with onboard video card? Specs are as follows:

ABS Stratos Aqua Gaming PC – Windows 11 Home - Intel i5 13600KF – GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB GDDR6 – DLSS 3 - AI-Powered Performance - 32GB DDR5 6000MHz - 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD – SA13600KF4060TI16G

6. How old is your computer, Processor, ram, hard drive type?

Well, it certainly seems like you have the computer and internet for it. The only reason I have asked you these questions is becuase we havent had any other issues like this we have heard about recently. Sometimes the server does have these issues and we usually just restart it. I would try one other thing, uninstall the game and reinstall it, verify your games files through Steam, and logout of Steam and re-log in. This might clear up some cache/file issues. You might also try installing to another drive(even an external) in ccase there are any hard drive issues.

22 hours ago, Candy 1st MRB said:

Well, it certainly seems like you have the computer and internet for it. The only reason I have asked you these questions is because we havent had any other issues like this we have heard about recently. Sometimes the server does have these issues and we usually just restart it. I would try one other thing, uninstall the game and reinstall it, verify your games files through Steam, and logout of Steam and re-log in. This might clear up some cache/file issues. You might also try installing to another drive(even an external) in case there are any hard drive issues.

Did all the above as well, and still having the same problem. I did not try another hard drive as I only have a SSD in my PC currently, but had this same problem on my older PC prior to getting this new one.  

• 2 months later...

Just my opinion.  I'd start looking at AV and any Malware programs you run.  The lag could be any one of those items along with firewalls on the local machine.  The reason I say this is that the latency seems to be with the packets themselves having to go through those programs. 

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Been playing here since I was 13. My ping had always stayed around 250ms(from India). Joined today and for some reasons, it has spiked all the way upto 600 and has now got around 450-500ms.
If I join British/German Servers in DODS or even BF1, it's alright with no lag. I feel that the server has been refreshed/update with stats thing.
Anyways, I have tried the following

1. Restarting the game

2. cl_interp 0;cl_interp_ratio 0; (not an imp command but reduces 'lerp')
3. Verifying the files
4. Reinstalling the game, deleting old data manually too
5. restarting the router that provides smooth 100mbps connection

On 3/25/2024 at 10:45 PM, Mister WWII said:

Been playing here since I was 13. My ping had always stayed around 250ms(from India). Joined today and for some reasons, it has spiked all the way upto 600 and has now got around 450-500ms.
If I join British/German Servers in DODS or even BF1, it's alright with no lag. I feel that the server has been refreshed/update with stats thing.
Anyways, I have tried the following

1. Restarting the game

2. cl_interp 0;cl_interp_ratio 0; (not an imp command but reduces 'lerp')
3. Verifying the files
4. Reinstalling the game, deleting old data manually too
5. restarting the router that provides smooth 100mbps connection

Issue Resolved, I guess it was just some minor peer issue in that duration.