Voice Proximity Mod

Cramer

This looks like an awesome plugin. It would make realisms more realistic by allowing fireteam leaders to assign a runner to deliver/receive messages to/from the squad leader. Also, it'll get rid of all the annoying mic spamming due to orders being given usually by 3-4 people at the same time.

This plugin forces voice communication only to players within a certain radius of the speaker, which makes it so you cannot communicate to players accross the map; but rather within "speaking range."[Read More...]

Well, I think they're speaking from experience and just saying "it doesn't work".

I'm guessing they're not computer programmers, so they can't say "well, the promixity code module doesn't allow for the internal specs of steams hitbox movement over given terrain, making the mod cause extreme latency and stress network connections in given situations because of the poor API" (or some such other nerdspeak)

So it's hard to answer the question "What makes it fail?" I personally don't know. I HAVE seen mods like that before - and for some reason - they just never seemed to work well. I'm guessing that's why you don't see it on a lot more servers - especially considering how long the game has been out, and how long the mod has been around. It's always made sound seem really 'inaccurate' to me. If it could be done right, I agree - it would be cool, but I imagine it's also a programming nightmare to do stuff like that and do it well.

What I meant was simple.... the code is fail, the idea is fail, and the execution is fail....

Blackwatch, of whom some of our members came from, had this mod on their server. You could hear enemies talking when close to them, an option that could be turned off, but stooooopid none-the-less. Half the time when the mod was on, you could hear everyone, and half the time it worked correctly. Also, as the Major can tell you, the more mods on a server, the worse the registry is on the server. Why do you think our pub is so good about registry? There are like 4 maybe 5 mods on it.

Don't believe me? Go in the 6th RB's fail pub... worst registry I have ever seen on a server. because it's run by people that think adding more mods makes the server better... I have had better registration on a German server with double the ping of their server.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.