Martial Arts: What do you think?

G. Wilson

Alright, so as I've found out going to college, the martial arts world has taken off in popularity so I think we should state our opinions, practiced disciplines and ranks if they apply, and even if you abhor martial arts completely.

I'll start it off:

I'm a blue belt in both Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and Muy Thai and there is only one thing I would rather be doing at any given time than practicing these arts; and that is playing hockey. They challenge me physically and mentally, as well as build a sense of discipline and respect. I think it's great that these arts are becoming more readily available to younger kids.

2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do

Mid Red Belt in Chung Do Mu Sool Won

A green belt in Ju Jitsu (Traditional, NOT Brazilian)

White Belt in Judo (been years since I practiced it)

and a Yellow Belt in Muay Thai

Thats where I stand after 9 years of consisten Martial Arts training. I loved martial arts with all my being. I trained for at least 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. I also took some weapon martial arts, Kux Sool Staff, and Escrima mainly.

To say in short, I love doing Martial Arts.

Well, wrestling definitely helps in the ground game, but it also develops some bad habits for BJJ that are hard to break and easy to take advantage of.

And I went to MMA Institute under Rick McCoy before I had to leave for college and couldn't train anymore, but I hope eventually I'll reach Black belt in BJJ because that is where my heart lies really. It's like chess. except you can have your arm broken if you make a mistake.

I did some MMA but only helping some other guys train for their bouts since I'm not to into it.

and I completely agree with you McKenzie, it's one of my passions

3rd Dan Black in Tae kwon do

amatuer in aikido

amatuer in a couple others that my instructors have placed into our classes

I teach a couple of classes a week when i can get there... stupid work

ive have 15 years of training with the most time i have had off being this year sadly work and school get in the way.... But on a lighter note i am testing for my fourth next year

I have a first degree Black belt in Tae kwon Do and a blue belt in Kung Fu. Although these were taken many many years ago and i have not participated for must be 15 years. Had they been easily available back then in the dark ages i would have trained in Mauy Thai and ju Jitsu, I think they are the ultimate martial arts.

UFC all the way, love it.

I've wrestled on and off over the course of the last 4 years including both for my highschool and Uni, and although I'm no champ I was coaching this past year at my old highschool. I've got to say, even though its been a great time, Id trade it all in to be part of a team sport rather than an individual one, I much prefer competitive hockey and rugby. I suppose I'm comparing apples to oranges here but I think that much with anything in life a group is much more effective and can make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. I've got some time to kill so let me rant alittle here.

Individual combat sports are largely based on a persons mental zeal, and what I mean by that is its very demanding on one individual to keep constantly strong. This includes things like keeping a routine for training, being able to pick yourself up after being knocked down without letting it affect you etc etc. (I'm sure those in individual sports can think of many things). I mean being physically strong is one of those things that you either have or you don't and when in combat the physical side is largely based on preparation and in turn comes back to how well you've been able to commit yourself to the cause and/or goals you've set to achieve. Yes, a lucky blow can be landed or some outside circumstance such as illness or injury can make you lose, but lets face facts here, more times than not a person who trains longer, harder and is more devoted will win.

Team sports are very dependant on organisation and cohesion rather than a mental aspect. It is true that the higher a persons mental zeal the higher their chances of succeeding in such an event but it isn't as critical as it would be in an individual contest. Being part of a group can produce a greater spark for keeping routines and zeal because of the mob mentality of the contact (combat per say) in the sport. It then all comes down to, in a group sport, how well you can react and work as a unit, as I've hinted at, making the whole greater than the sum of its parts. This kind of thing, I think at least, prepares you much more for life as a whole because we rarely work alone and being able to interact with others is always going to be a huge part of living. I even mean getting along with all those assholes who are eventually going to piss you off somewhere down the road aka. your boss or the idiot who gets paid as much as you do although you do the same job and are better at it but hey, whose bitter right ;) .

Anyway, bringing all this to a conclusion we can really see it all in our realisms. Certain people (and Ill use Collins as a good example of this, cheers budda) tend to prefer and react better when situated by themselves and are much more effective that way, not needing to depend on interaction of others and being mentally strong to deal with the situation. Where as others (not sure who exactly, but I'm definitely one) prefer to be in a group, using the variety of weapons and using tactics/ organisation to produce cover fire and other things that can make a team very deadly. It also brings me alittle chuckle every time a realism comes down to a 1v1 and everyone makes bets on who will win based pretty much on who is more mentally prepared/capable of being in that type of situation. Obviously Id never put money on myself if that kind of thing happens, I'm more of that small percentage of "lucky noobzor shot" hahaha, but I do find myself picked largely on my contribution to listen and lead in a group atmosphere. I've also probably over analysed all this and typed more than what was really expected, but theres my full two cents on the matter lol :)