Personal favorite quotes. (lets keep this going)

Frantz

My top Five!!!

5. "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

4. "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

3. Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

2."Retreat Hell! We're just attacking in another direction." Major General Oliver P. Smith, USMC

And my personal favorite

1."One very specific man might be all that stand between humanity and the greatest threat of our brief existence." (idk who said this)

These are my Favorite five. post ur top 3, 5, 10000 quotes. it may get really interesting

I have been collecting quotes like his for years, and here is a compilation of all of them. For those wondering, Quotes like these are interesting and inspiring for me - which is why I collect them.

"A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs,

to hear the weeping of those who cherished them, to take their horses between his knees and to press in his arms the most desirable

of their women.

I love war, because in the end there is victory"

Ghengis Khan (c. 1200)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that

nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than

his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better

men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done

them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives

valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually

strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows

in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place

shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

He who gives up an earthly life in exchange for an eternal life he cannot lose,

thereby demonstrating the wisdom many never achieve."

Seal of Honor

"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do

a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents; What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for

the work which would be his finest hour."

Sir Winston Churchill

"It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link of the chain of destiny can be handled at a time."

Sir Winston Churchilll

“Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”

Sir Winston Churchill

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”

Sir Winston Churchill

“Too often the strong, silent man is silent only because he does not know what to say, and is reputed weak(Strong?) only because he has remained

silent.”

Sir Winston Churchill

“Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.”

Bobby Knight

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

Sir Winston Churchill

"In war, you can only be killed once, but in politics, many times."

Sir Winston Churchill

"It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right."

Sir Winston Churchill

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it. "

Sir Winston Churchill

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Sir Winston Churchill

"Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game."

Sir Winston Churchill

"Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

Sir Winston Churchill

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Sir Winston Churchill

"There are two things that are more difficult than making an after-dinner speech: climbing a wall which is leaning toward you and kissing

a girl who is leaning away from you."

Sir Winston Churchill

"Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war."

Sir Winston Churchill

"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out."

Sir Winston Churchill

"We are stripped bare by the curse of plenty."

Sir Winston Churchill

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. "

Sir Winston Churchill

"Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind."

Robert Green Ingersoll

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Unknown

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

General George S. Patton, Jr

"The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."

Henry David Thoreau

"Despite the urge to avert your eyes from the suffering, the only way to really appreciate the nobility of courage is to familiarize

yourself with its costs so that you will come to understand how rare a thing it really is."

Captain John McCain, USN (Ret.)

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take

its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever"

Unknown

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”

G. K. Chesterton

"The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise"

Sciathán Fiannóglach an Airm

"Lessons learned in blood are not soon forgotten"

Law Abiding Citizen

"Blind aggressiveness would destroy the attack itself, not the defense."

Karl Von Clausewitz

"Blood is the price of victory"

Karl von Clausewitz

"It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past."

Karl Von Clausewitz

"To achieve victory we must mass out forces at the hub of all power and movement. The enemie's 'center of gravity'"

Karl Von Clausewitz

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest;

and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

Confucius

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Socrates

"Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.

Confucius."

Confucius

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."

Confucius

"Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire."

Confucius

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

Confucius

"A sense is what has the power of receiving into itself the sensible forms of things without the matter,

in the way in which a piece of wax takes on the impress of a signet-ring without the iron or gold."

Aristotle

"By desiring little, a poor man makes himself rich."

Democritus

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."

Confucius

"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."

Confucius

"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."

Confucius

"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works.

All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."

Confucius

"Silence is a true friend who never betrays."

Confucius

"The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue."

Confucius

"The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. "

Confucius

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell."

Confucius

"The superior man makes the difficulty to be overcome his first interest; success only comes later."

Confucius

"To see the right and not to do it is cowardice."

Confucius

"When you are laboring for others let it be with the same zeal as if it were for yourself."

Confucius

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys;

look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."

Sun Tzu

"Step forward now, you soldier, You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell"

Unknown

"Do not scorn the weak cub, he may become the brutal tiger."

Mongolian proverb

"A man without his word is no better than a beast."

Unknown

"My loyalty to Country & Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans

always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work,

nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the

welfare and security of others before my own."

Seal of Honor

"True heroism is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."

Seal of Honor

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

Douglas MacArthur

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."

Seal of Honor

"No one has greater love than this--a man laying down his life for his Country"

Seal of Honor

"For all those who are now walking with angels... and those families who have endured great sacrifice in the name of our nation...

there are no words

Seal of Honor

"SEALs give all & ask for nothing. Their reward is coming home to their families & friends,

watching them & others enjoy the freedom they helped secure, ever vigilant, the fight is never over.

We continue to enjoy our freedom because of men such as these."

Seal of Honor

"Don't take this life for granted for my death has guaranteed,

That you can live as many can't, to live as you believe"

Seal of Honor

"That others may live"

Pararescue Jumper's motto

"until the river runs dry and my last breath leaves

chin in the air with a head held high,

I’ll stand in the path of the enemy line

feel no fear, know my pride:

for God and Country I’ll end your life"

Seal of Honor

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal"

Seal of Honor

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position one has reached in life as

by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

Seal of Honor

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together and keep your

head up when everyone else would understand if you gave up, now that is true strength"

Seal of Honor

"Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most..."

Seal of Honor

"Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance and love have no end."

George W Bush

"only the dead have seen the end of war."

Plato

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart."

Unknown

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take

its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever"

Unknown

^Lance Armstrong

"I hated every minute of training but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now. and live the rest of your life as a champion!' "

-Muhammed Ali

Sometimes death only comes from lack of challenge

- Napoleon

You've got a lot of good ones in there Tolomeo

You can drink a pint of your own blood before you die- One of the seniors in my Freshman year of high school wrestling

Oderint Dum Metuant... (Let them Hate, so long as they fear)- Caligula

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

MGen Mattis is a BAMF.

I have more, I just need to find my book of quotes.

"I told you that 'juvenile delinquent' is a contradiction in terms. 'Delinquent' means 'failing in duty.' But duty is an adult virtue—indeed a juvenile becomes an adult when, and only when, he acquires a knowledge of duty and embraces it as dearer than the self-love he was born with. There never was, there cannot be a 'juvenile delinquent.' But for every juvenile criminal there are always one or more adult delinquents—people of mature years who either do not know their duty, or who, knowing it, fail."

--Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Page 120, Starship Troopers By Robert A. Heinlein

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

--Friedrich A. Hayek, The Fatal Conceit

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

--Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Page 93, Starship Troopers By Robert A. Heinlein

John Sheridan: "The Universe speaks in many languages but only one voice. A language which is not Narn or Human or Centauri or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the language of hope."

G'Kar: "It speaks in the language of trust. It speaks in the language of strength and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and of the language of the soul; but always it is the same voice; it is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born; it is the small still voice that says: "We are one." No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause we agree to recognize this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another."

Sheridan: "Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one."

G'Kar: "We are one."

--John Sheridan and G'Kar, Babylon 5, Season 5, Episode 3 "The Paragon of Animals"

"BADNADE BADNADE OH MY GAWD I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THAT!"

--J. Pangilinan, various accidental badnades and teamkills.

"Republicans. They are no different from Democrats. The old Guard only differences in small degrees. If the old guard of the Democrats were the old hippies and the new hipsters, what makes the old guard say we rattlesnakes can't do the same."

--J. Pangilinan

"The humans, I think, knew they were doomed. But where another race would surrender to despair, the humans fought back with even greater strength. They made the Minbari fight for every inch of space. In my life, I have never seen anything like it. They would weep, they would pray, they would say goodbye to their loved ones and then throw themselves without fear or hesitation at the very face of death itself. Never surrendering. No one who saw them fighting against the inevitable could help but be moved to tears by their courage…their stubborn nobility. When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns, they used knives and sticks and bare hands. They were magnificent. I only hope, that when it is my time, I may die with half as much dignity as I saw in their eyes at the end. They did this for two years. They never ran out of courage. But in the end…they ran out of time."

--Londo Mollari, Babylon 5 Movie "In The Beginning" (Emphasis Added)

"For us, the storm has passed... the war is over. But let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark and did not return. For their decision required courage beyond measure; sacrifice, and unshakable conviction that their fight... our fight, was elsewhere. As we start to rebuild, this hillside will remain barren, a memorial to heroes fallen. They ennobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten."

--FAdm Lord Terrence Hood, Halo 3

"Many short-sighted fools think that going to the Moon was just a stunt. But the astronauts knew the meaning of what they were doing, as is shown by Neil Armstrong's first words in stepping down onto the soil of Luna: "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

--Robert A. Heinlein, "The Pragmatics of Patriotism", speech at USNA

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle classes render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn."

--Mahatma Gandhi, "An Autobiography OR The story of my experiments with truth", Chapter 27

"The laws of [false utility] are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator?"

--Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments, 1764, Chapter 40

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."

"I think I'd rather be forgotten."

--rough paraphrase, Linn Ssynec Rocr Ïarlucec Dreuc Haïder Ghintec (Jinto), Banner of the Stars manga.

I'd get the exact quote, but my books are at M. Kim's house. Jinto basically wishes no one would remember him, who is remembered in his world as son of the traitor who sold his planet to the Humankind Empire Abh. It's...somewhat my motto...and it's to counter McDowell's

Edited by Pangilinan 1st MRB

"I think I'd rather be forgotten."

--rough paraphrase, Linn Ssynec Rocr Ïarlucec Dreuc Haïder Ghintec (Jinto), Banner of the Stars manga.

I'd get the exact quote, but my books are at M. Kim's house. Jinto basically wishes no one would remember him, who is remembered in his world as son of the traitor who sold his planet to the Humankind Empire Abh. It's...somewhat my motto...and it's to counter McDowell's

lol

• 1 year later...

This is a really long but a great story. About Sexism.

Story of example of sexism

Imagine, if you will, a small house, built someplace cool-ish but not cold, perhaps somewhere in Ohio, and inhabited by a dog and a lizard. The dog is a big dog, something shaggy and nordic, like a Husky or Lapphund – a sled dog, built for the snow. The lizard is small, a little gecko best adapted to living in a muggy rainforest somewhere. Neither have ever lived anywhere else, nor met any other creature; for the purposes of this exercise, this small house is the entirety of their universe.

The dog, much as you might expect, turns on the air conditioning. Really cranks it up, all the time – this dog was bred for hunting moose on the tundra, even the winter here in Ohio is a little warm for his taste. If he can get the house to fifty (that’s ten C, for all you weirdo metric users out there), he’s almost happy.

The gecko can’t do much to control the temperature – she’s got tiny little fingers, she can’t really work the thermostat or turn the dials on the A/C. Sometimes, when there’s an incandescent light nearby, she can curl up near it and pick up some heat that way, but for the most part, most of the time, she just has to live with what the dog chooses. This is, of course, much too cold for her – she’s a gecko. Not only does she have no fur, she’s cold-blooded! The temperature makes her sluggish and sick, and it permeates her entire universe. Maybe here and there she can find small spaces of warmth, but if she ever wants to actually do anything, to eat or watch TV or talk to the dog, she has to move through the cold house.

Now, remember, she’s never known anything else. This is just how the world is – cold and painful and unhealthy for her, even dangerous, and she copes as she knows how. But maybe some small part of her thinks, “hey, it shouldn’t be like this,” some tiny growing seed of rebellion that says who she is right next to a lamp is who she should be all the time. And she and the dog are partners, in a sense, right? They live in this house together, they affect each other, all they’ve got is each other. So one day, she sees the dog messing with the A/C again, and she says, “hey. Dog. Listen, it makes me really cold when you do that.”

The dog kind of looks at her, and shrugs, and keeps turning the dial.

This is not because the dog is a jerk.

This is because the dog has no loving clue what the lizard even just said.

Consider: he’s a nordic dog in a temperate climate. The word “cold” is completely meaningless to him. He’s never been cold in his entire life. He lives in an environment that is perfectly suited to him, completely aligned with his comfort level, a world he grew up with the tools to survive and control, built right in to the way he was born.

So the lizard tries to explain it to him. She says, “well, hey, how would you like it if I turned the temperature down on you?”

The dog goes, “uh… sounds good to me.”

What she really means, of course, is “how would you like it if I made you cold.” But she can’t make him cold. She doesn’t have the tools, or the power, their shared world is not built in a way that allows it – she simply is not physically capable of doing the same harm to him that he’s doing to her. She could make him feel pain, probably, I’m sure she could stab him with a toothpick or put something nasty in his food or something, but this specific form of pain, he will never, ever understand – it’s not something that can be inflicted on him, given the nature of the world they live in and the way it’s slanted in his favor in this instance. So he doesn’t get what she’s saying to him, and keeps hurting her.

Most privilege is like this.

A straight cisgendered male American, because of who he is and the culture he lives in, does not and cannot feel the stress, creepiness, and outright threat behind a catcall the way a woman can. His upbringing has given him fur and paws big enough to turn the dials and plopped him down in temperate Ohio. When she says “you don’t have to put up with being leered at,” what she means is, “you don’t ever have to be wary of sexual interest.” That’s male privilege. Not so much that something doesn’t happen to men, but that it will never carry the same weight, even if it does.

So what does this mean? And what are we asking you to do, when we say “check your privilege” or “your privilege is showing”?

Well, quite simply, we want you to understand when you have fur. And, by extension, when that means you should listen. See, the dog’s not an rear end in a top hat just for turning down the temperature. As far as he knows, that’s fine, right? He genuinely cannot feel the pain it causes, he doesn’t even know about it. No one thinks he’s a bad person for totally accidentally doing harm.

Here’s where he becomes an rear end in a top hat: the minute the gecko says, “look, you’re hurting me,” and he says, “what? No, I’m not. This ‘cold’ stuff doesn’t even exist, I should know, I’ve never felt it. You’re imagining it. It’s not there. It’s fine because of fur, because of paws, because look, you can curl up around this lamp, because sometimes my water dish is too tepid and I just shut up and cope, obviously temperature isn’t this big deal you make it, and you’ve never had to deal with mange anyway, my life is just as hard.”

And then the dog just ignores it. Because he can. That’s the privilege that comes with having fur, with being a dog in Ohio. He doesn’t have to think about it. He doesn’t have to live daily with the cold. He has no idea what he’s talking about, and he will never, ever be forced to learn. He can keep making the lizard miserable until the day they both die, and he will never suffer for it beyond the mild annoyance of her complaining. And she, meanwhile, gets to try not to freeze to death.

-----------------------------------------------------

"When I joined the Marine Corps, I figured I’d be a infantryman, go on liberty, drink beer, punch sailors, chase wild women, kill communists, and if I kept my boots clean and qualified with the rifle every year, I might grow up to be a gunnery sergeant." —Retired MGySgt R. R. Keene, Leatherneck, April 1996, page 51