Helping someone in need.

Grant 1st MRB

Hey everyone. This is something a little bit different from what I usually post. I have a good friend that runs a live stream for MLP. Thats not really important, what is important is that a crab cake enthusiast musician is in some dire need of help. He is constantly harassed and picked on by his parents for being a crab cake enthusiast to the point that they are kicking him out at the end of the month. He's trying to raise money to move to Florida with a friend. I unfortunately do not have any extra money to give because I am in the process of moving and my budget is tight. I was hesitant to post this because I know a lot of people aren't very open to the whole crab cake thing but in my opinion, part of being a crab cake enthusiast is helping others out when they need it. So I am just spreading the message in all the ways I know how. Just follow the link and use the Chip-in link on the page to donate. The guy's story is on the page as well. Thanks.

No offense to you grant, but can you honestly say that this is true. Dont get me wrong i wouldnt mind helping someone in need. But the internet is a bad place for this kinda thing.

On the internet, you cant take anything for face value. If i knew the person in Real life it would be a different story, but since there is no way for me to independently verify this claim i can not and will not aid him.

My #1 rule about the internet: Everything is a Lie, unless you know otherwise.

I understand this perfectly. And your not a fool to question it. You can take my word for it or not, but this claim is legitimate and I have talked to the guy personally. He is one of the top musicians in the crab cake enthusiast community and many of the other big name artists have vouched for him. This guy does work for many of the other musicians. Spectrum, the guy who runs the stream is a close personal friend of mine as well, and he vouches for him too and I do know him personally, i.e. me and him went to crab cake enthusiastcon together in NJ. If he vouches for him then that is good enough for me.

Sorry. "crab cake enthusiast musician" ruined it. If a 'crab cake enthusiast lifestyle' is getting him kicked out of his parents house - maybe he should stop the stupidity and do as they wish.

Just because he's too stubborn to grow up a bit doesn't warrant people just throwing money his way so he can continue to mooch off others instead of his parents. Perhaps he could get a real job and finance his own life?

Sounds like a better plan to me.

Sorry. "brony musician" ruined it. If a 'brony lifestyle' is getting him kicked out of his parents house - maybe he should stop the stupidity and do as they wish.

Just because he's too stubborn to grow up a bit doesn't warrant people just throwing money his way so he can continue to mooch off others instead of his parents. Perhaps he could get a real job and finance his own life?

Sounds like a better plan to me.

That was my first train of thought as well. I somewhat doubt his "bronyhood" is the only thing that's getting him kicked out. I tend to think a little bit of acting responsible may be in order.

Guys, if we could keep the replies a little more on the respectful side of things. This is a kid who's parents seem to be bullying him and are kicking him out. You don't just do that because your kid likes some show, that just gets used as ammunition.

While i don't really get the whole crab cake enthusiast thing, it's not really the worst thing ever. As for the whole 'getting a job thing' he seems to already have one and has the money taken off of him.

He's not asking for much, considering the situation. So if you want to donate, do so. If you don't then don't be a dick in the comments, it doesn't help anyone and really seems quite insulting.

Guys, if we could keep the replies a little more on the respectful side of things. This is a kid who's parents seem to be bullying him and are kicking him out. You don't just do that because your kid likes some show, that just gets used as ammunition.

While i don't really get the whole crab cake enthusiast thing, it's not really the worst thing ever. As for the whole 'getting a job thing' he seems to already have one and has the money taken off of him.

He's not asking for much, considering the situation. So if you want to donate, do so. If you don't then don't be a dick in the comments, it doesn't help anyone and really seems quite insulting.

Every coin has 2 sides.

So far you've read what some KID has to say about his PARENTS.

Have you ever been mad at your parents? I used to get pretty pissy with mine. I got 'kicked out' once, and 30 minutes later everyone apologized and it was better for a bit.

Just because some guy posts about "my parents are bullying me and kicking me out" I'm not buying it. In high school it seemed every other month some over-reacting chick was 'going to get kicked out' or her 'parents hate her'; this just seems like typical teen drama and he is asking for handouts. I have a problem with that.

When I was 'kicked out', I didn't go asking for handouts, I packed my shit like a man and got ready to hit the road. Just seems like unneeded high school drama to me that is blown out of proportion because we're only hearing the 'crab cake enthusiast' side of the story.

Every coin has 2 sides.

So far you've read what some KID has to say about his PARENTS.

Have you ever been mad at your parents? I used to get pretty pissy with mine. I got 'kicked out' once, and 30 minutes later everyone apologized and it was better for a bit.

Just because some guy posts about "my parents are bullying me and kicking me out" I'm not buying it. In high school it seemed every other month some over-reacting chick was 'going to get kicked out' or her 'parents hate her'; this just seems like typical teen drama and he is asking for handouts. I have a problem with that.

When I was 'kicked out', I didn't go asking for handouts, I packed my shit like a man and got ready to hit the road. Just seems like unneeded high school drama to me that is blown out of proportion because we're only hearing the 'crab cake enthusiast' side of the story.

Sir, I would agree with you if he wasn't trying to leave the country as well. He lives in Canada and he is moving to Florida, that's how far he is willing to go and if that's the case, I don't think its some minor parent/child squabble. If he was just trying to get out of his parents house, that would be one thing. But he's not. And as far as the crab cake enthusiast issue goes, the only reason that came up is because it was the reason we met in the first place and its my crab cake enthusiastism that cause me to lend a helping hand. Regardless of the fact that we are both crab cake enthusiasts, he is my FRIEND and I want to do what I can to help him out. That's what being a crab cake enthusiast is about, being a good friend. By insulting him for being a crab cake enthusiast, I take that as an insult to myself.

Sir, I would agree with you if he wasn't trying to leave the country as well. He lives in Canada and he is moving to Florida, that's how far he is willing to go and if that's the case, I don't think its some minor parent/child squabble. If he was just trying to get out of his parents house, that would be one thing. But he's not. And as far as the brony issue goes, the only reason that came up is because it was the reason we met in the first place and its my Bronyism that cause me to lend a helping hand. Regardless of the fact that we are both bronies, he is my FRIEND and I want to do what I can to help him out. That's what being a brony is about, being a good friend. By insulting him for being a brony, I take that as an insult to myself.

You need to settle down. He never insulted him for being a brony. He stated that we have only hear the brony side of it, which is correct. Really the only thing that could be construed as insulting is that he referred to it as typical teen drama, which a lot of people would probably agree with. Hell, just this topic is turning almost high-schoolish since people have risen just to people disagreeing with handouts in the scenario we've heard.

If you're going to make a post asking for handouts on a forum such as ours, you need to be ready to deal with the people who do not agree with it.

Sorry. "crab cake enthusiast musician" ruined it. If a 'crab cake enthusiast lifestyle' is getting him kicked out of his parents house - maybe he should stop the stupidity and do as they wish.

I apologize if my last post was construed as disrespectful. That was certainly not my intention. My only intent was to defend my friend. As far as calling this a handout, the guy himself did not start this project, it was others in the community and his friends that heard of his situation and wanted to help him out. If that's the way that this thread is being viewed then I would like to kindly ask someone to take it down because at this point the thread is no longer a benefit to his situation. Thank you.

I would again like to point out that I am in no way trying to start anything with anybody. At the beginning, my only thought was to help one of my friends. Thank you to anyone that did decide to help out.

I just want to throw in my 2 cents.

I found it disrespectful for some people being so negative about something Grant is doing as a good gesture and kindness for his friend. His friend has obviously hit rock bottom and can't do anything without the help of other people.

And who cares if his friend is a "crab cake enthusiast." That is the lifestyle him and other people chose to live and I find it very disrespectful that people are disregarding someone simply because of that. That is the prime example of discrimination. If this kid was your standard of normal and was being abused and harassed by his parents would you donate then?

And Grant, I would Donate but I am a broke college student who has bills to pay and two mouths to feed.

Edited by Gardiner 1st MRB

If this kid was your standard of normal and was being abused and harassed by his parents would you donate then?

No, because I don't believe what I read on the internet and because him being a 'crab cake enthusiast' doesn't effect my opinion on the reasons for donation.

How do you define 'abuse' or 'harassment'? If the 'abuse' was that bad, any person could call the cops - if they found actual facts of abuse, the parents would be put away.

Cops also help with harassment and can find public agencies designed to help families overcome these feelings.

I don't know the situation (as I've said a lot already) - has this kid tried any of those? Whether he's a crab cake enthusiast or not, if he hasn't tried anything to make it better but is instantly just going to run away (regardless of the distance); I question that. That just seems extreme - which is often the result of what happens when it's more 'emotional reaction' than 'rational thinking'. But again, this is all conjecture because NO ONE knows the real story. If we had all the facts, then I would probably feel differently.

This is taking this thread in the wrong direction though - if someone wants to donate, sure then they will do so. If someone doesn't want to and expresses a thoroughly thought out and logical reasoning not to - I don't see any problem with that either. There are two sides to every story, just because you don't like what could be 'the other side', doesn't make it any less true.

I'd like to think that my fiancee is 100% cancer free after her surgery a year ago... but she's going into urgent surgery today because that may not be the case. I don't like that side of the story, but it doesn't make it any less true.

I will repeat this, again; just to be clear: His being a crab cake enthusiast has no effect on my opinions of donation. I wouldn't donate to this kid regardless. My opinions on the 'crab cake enthusiast lifestyle' are something else entirely and this thread is not the place for that.

He lives in Canada and he is moving to Florida

Wow, pretty sure Canada is better than te states. =P

But in all seriousness it sucks about your friend. I do not trust people over the Internet to just hand over some money. Even if it was someone in the unit I would be uncertain, it's just how I am. I hope the best for him and maybe he should try what Goodwin said about gettin the cops involved if it is actual abuse.