Art

Goodwin 1st MRB

Well, after some heated debates on facebook with some friends regarding art, artists and the fundamentals of 'good and bad', I'm curious...

Who are your favorite artists and why?

Me personally:

I enjoy Dali & Escher. Probably my 2 favorites - Dali because his stuff was realistic, but completely wild. The detail & actual painting was done so well... and the content is just so wild - you never knew what you'd get out of a Dali painting.

Escher because he was a math guy - and he took math and made it art. He could do real art too, his woodcuts and drawings are quite amazing; and some of his drawings represented physically impossible shapes - challenging the viewer to see more.

I like art a lot... can't say there is really a lot I don't like. I'm not much of a fan of 'modern art' however because it just seems/feels lazy to me. Was at the art museum in Chicago a few months ago and saw a white canvas with a piece of metal stuck to it. That was it! I didn't get it.

I dig street art too - Banksy (who doesn't like that guy?) is awesome!

...so lets hear it - who and why!?

I am not going to go way off beaten path on obscure- However my favorite artist after seeing his stuff and meeting the man has to be

TIM BURTON- Contemporary and twisted- He typically visits his exhibitions in museums for two reason-

He said he never wants his shit being damaged, or displayed incorrectly.

"I like seeing the reactions of people so i can get a new idea where i go next with my creativity. In the long run my art should be shared though I am not very fond of judgement or analysis, take my work as it is"

If you ever get the chance I saw him and the art at The Modern Art Museum in NY not to be confused with the Guggenheim.

original batman suit from the Keaton batman. all of his clay and drawings- beetle juice modern sculptures which scared the shit out of me ( Snake Monsters)

If i want a good solid classic, Salivadore Dali and the Temptation is one of my favorites

Yes, yes, yes, I love both Escher and Dali... I have large prints of both these pictures on my walls at home:

Escher's "Puddle"

puddle.jpg

and Dali's "The Metamorphosis of Narcissus"

metamorphosis_of_narcissus-salvador_dali

I'm not generally someone who spends a lot of time analysing artwork for the artist's meaning (such

issues can be debated until the cows come home with no consensus, especially if the artist is long dead.

I'm basically interested in work that is aesthetically pleasing, but intelligent in its construction.

I like the Escher, because it uses completely abstract shapes to build up a concrete image; it feels like a forerunner

to contemporary posterised "clip arty" style pop art. I like how Dali paints something, and cleverly makes it look like

something else. And of course both look very cool.