The World Baseball Classic

Alvarez

Well, it's that time of year again. Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training next month, and before we know it, baseball season will be in full swing [ha!]. Of course, before the regular season comes the international tournament that sprang up when baseball / softball were being removed from the Olympics. Here are the countries who qualified this year, who are YOU rooting for?:

Australia

Brazil

Canada

China

Chinese Taipei

Cuba

Dominican Republic

Italy

Japan

Kingdom of the Netherlands

Korea

Mexico

Puerto Rico

Spain

United States

Venezuela

Personally, I'm rooting for the Dutch [Netherlands]. Baseball became popular over there after WWII, much in the way it took the Japanese by storm during our occupation. Right now, Japan holds the only two titles [2006, 2009].

Don't take ANY of these teams lightly, they are all packed with Major League talent and top prospects, not just random dudes who can play ball!

Yes Sir, the S.A. teams are looking slick this go around. Japan is going to be missing quite a few key players now, particularly on the mound [i think Yu Darvish declined, a HUGE part of their previous success].

I'm not sure if it's going to continue through the tournament, but Barry Larkin was coaching for Brasil in the Qualifiers this fall. Talk about a legend, the guy doesn't speak a lick of Portugese and he had them playing better than half the teams who showed up. This is Brasil's first appearance and qualification.

All in all, I am REALLY looking forward to this competition. Hopefully there will be some games Stateside or in Toronto again, I'd love to go in person... Be the only one in a Netherlands hat. :P

• 1 month later...

Clayton Kershaw unfortunately declined to participate... On the same day that he casually fanned 7 in 3 innings of work. Imagine a U.S. staff anchored by the big lefty. *drools*

In other news, the W.B.C. starts this weekend! Today, actually, with Chinese Taipei taking on Australia in the Pool B opener. If you have MLB network, it should be aired there. Unfortunately I don't. :[

Japan lost a LOT of guys from those championship rosters. However, that "Warrior Spirit" comes out of everyone on the World stage... We'll see what comes of their current roster. The U.S. roster is stacked, stacked, STACKED. Looking forward to next week when North American teams go at it.

Updates:

The Japanese held on to defeat Brazil, 5-3.

Another W.B.C. upset from the Netherlands, as they shutout the Korean team, 5-0.

Games today [and early in the morning tomorrow] include Cuba @ Brazil, China @ Japan, and the Netherlands @ Chinese Taipei.

Damn... China just got dumped on today by Cuba 12-0. Not surprised, but they only managed 3 hits lol.

I just noticed Greg Maddux is the US pitching coach... Dude, people would give their left nut to learn from this guy.

Funny you should mention Maddux, as I was just doing some research on baseball and came across this gold nugget (Narrated by Vin Scully too). I'm going to be doing my senior project on baseball statistics.

The Dutch and Japanese advance. Those yet to advance are the U.S., Italia, Republico Dominicana, and Puerto Rico. This tournament is REALLY heating up, I am absolutely in love with the hard-nosed baseball we've been seeing. Go Nederlands!

I am betting US and Dominican Republic will advance. Not only do both teams have great players, they also have some really experienced and well qualified managers. I am speaking of course about Joe Torre for the US and Tony Pena for the Dominican Republic.

My heart was crushed when Canada was eliminated by the US who happened to get a win against Italy because the italians played their bench players and pitchers most of the night. DAMN YOU CRUEL WORLD (of baseball)!

Well I mean you cannot deny that seeing David Wright hit that grand slam was a spectacle. I was disappointed there were no fireworks.

LOOK this proves my failure to imbed videos from youtube because I am incompitent

Japan might get the three-peat this year.

Lets hope not. I want to see the good old Stars and Stripes win.

Whoever wins, the turnout for this year's Classic has been amazing. Look at those crowds in Tokyo! People packed the stadium to watch the Dutch vs. Cuba, without a single Japanese player on the field. Now THOSE are fucking baseball fans. Why did the U.S. have to downgrade to being a football country? :angry:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.