2012/13 NHL Season Thread

Gooderham 1st MRB

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh lockout over what ever.

I stopped watching NHL after the last lockout.

Personally, the players, owners and the league in general needs a complete rework.

It's not about the Game anymore, its all about who can make the most money for the least amount of time/games.

Disbanned them all, fire everyone, then start fresh. Bring back what we last saw in the 80's and early 90's. Players who played so hard they almost killed themselves on the ice for the glory of the cup. Players that were down to earth, and on their days off would show up a local ice rinks behind schools and play with the kids unannounced. Not for the fame because the news crews are there and your gonna get your name in the paper or on TV.

More great hockey players became legends in the eyes of kids in that day, now its all about the hype and how much they make.

Till the NHL returns to those days they lost me and many of my friends as fans. Sure I'd probably watch the playoffs in my team the Oilers make it there, but thats about it, and even then its still a very slight probably.

Unfortunately all of our professional sports are going this route, and killing the enjoyment of the game.

It's not about the Game anymore, its all about who can make the most money for the least amount of time/games.

For the past 30yrs or so almost every professionally played sport in the world is about money. People have figured out that the demand and popularity is so high its almost stupid not to get in on it. Yes most sports started out as things to do for fun but in todays day and age I am not surprised at how they are run. They will always be a business and will always be run and looked at as a business.

LeafsNation.png
What is Leafs Nation?

fans.jpg
Leafs Nation is the fact that no matter what arena you play in,
there will always be just as many Leafs fans as there are home
team fans.

A_9KmadCMAAIs6g.jpg
We even have fans in space! That is Chris Hadfield, a Canadian
astronaut who on 19 December 2012, launched in the Soyuz TMA-07M
flight for a long duration stay on board the International Space Station.

94e8f8944e71866ed8e42ed2ce2e.jpg
Sometimes it sucks being a Leafs fan.

sundin.jpg
But it's those magical moments that make it all worth it.

luongo_manbearpiglpu.jpg
The great thing about a new season is you start fresh
with high hopes.

phil-kessel1.jpg
And take with you the positives from last season.

i.jpg
Welcome back, you beautiful devil you.

GAME ON!

For the past 30yrs or so almost every professionally played sport in the world is about money. People have figured out that the demand and popularity is so high its almost stupid not to get in on it. Yes most sports started out as things to do for fun but in todays day and age I am not surprised at how they are run. They will always be a business and will always be run and looked at as a business.

True, but atleast 23 years ago the players although making some decent $$ were still playing and having fun. And donating their time to the public for free more then today, today they wont make a showing unless you pay them enough to do so.

I can remember playing on the rink behind my elementary school back in the mid 80's and having Fuhr, Grant, Messier, Anderson and even a couple times Gretzky showing up and passing the puck with us kids for fun. Unannounced, no media around, just us kids and these hockey super stars on the ice having fun till the school yard lights shut off on the timers.

Good luck finding that these days.

I can remember playing on the rink behind my elementary school back in the mid 80's and having Fuhr, Grant, Messier, Anderson and even a couple times Gretzky showing up and passing the puck with us kids for fun. Unannounced, no media around, just us kids and these hockey super stars on the ice having fun till the school yard lights shut off on the timers.

Good luck finding that these days.

So basically you're assuming that doesn't happen anymore which no one can prove because if it does happen, it would be unannounced, no media around, just kids playing hockey with stars.

@ Arsenault - You're french canadian, need I say more?

That kind of stuff happens all the time. Id put money on it happening more in the northern states for obvious reasons but I know for a fact random pick up games happen all the time here.

Agreed, random pick up games happen ALOT. Go on twitter and see how many pros ask people if they want to get a pickup game going or if they know of any happening.

Surprised the L.A. Kings bit had NOTHING to do with their Ice Crew. My GOD, those girls are amazing! Pretty sure that's what got me into hockey in the first place. That, and Gretzky. Interesting fact: Wayne Gretzky's son Trevor was drafted by... *gasp* THE CHICAGO CUBS! Dude doesn't even play hockey, how weird is that?

Actually some jets players had a pickup game back in November/december and it was all over the local newspaper. First time ive herd of something like that happen but like yall say im sure it still does happen on occasion.

They were keeping you out of the loop traitor.

I live in California now engle : P Im about 3 hours north of LA lmao

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="4">

94e8f8944e71866ed8e42ed2ce2e.jpg

Sometimes it sucks being a Leafs fan.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mxrKTPBbLCo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="7">GAME ON!</font></font>

This reminds me of being a Flyers Fan whenever Bryz is playing, or being a Flyers Fan in general. Great find of a picture I must admit! And hope Leafs do make the playoffs actually, need different teams in that mix!

Edited by Teachey

@ Arsenault - You're french canadian, need I say more?

With all due respect, sir, 1967.

In my case, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to say more.

Oh yeah, Nordiques are coming back in not more than 3 years guys, get ready!!

Yes, don't support a team until you lose them and then complain to the NHL why you don't have a hockey team anymore.