Explanation of LERP and Hitboxes... I hope.

Ford 1st MRB

Question

As the video shows, the higher your LERP, the farther off the hitboxes are from your actual target when it is moving. This makes shooting at the player you see pretty much pointless because their hitbox is in a different location according to the server.

High LERP means, no packet loss, but inaccurate hitboxes, Low LERP means some packet loss but very accurate hitboxes.

The suggestion would be to play with your rates to see how low you can get your LERP and still have it in the white. A yellow LERP means you are losing packets, so try and avoid that if at all possible.

The commands:

net_graph 1

cl_updaterate 100

cl_interp_all 1

cl_interp_ratio 1

cl_interp 0.021 (this is the value you need to adjust to adjust your LERP in the server. Setting it to decimal points will adjust it. IE: cl_interp 0.1)

Keep adjusting the cl_interp rate until you find the lowest possible LERP that stays in the white. 0.021 was as low as I can go but depending on your connection speed, processor, yadda yadda yadda, you may be able to go lower.

Hope this helps explain why you all suck so bad.

I should also mention, this should be placed in an autoexec file in your dod folder otherwise you would have to manually type these commands in every time you join a server.

To do so:

Go to your dod folder C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/your name here/Day of Defeat Source/dod

Right click in the dod folder and click new > text document and name it autoexec.cfg

Open that text document in word pad or Microsoft Word or a similar program, and put the commands in there, then click save and you're done.

Go to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/your name here/Day of Defeat Source/dod/cfg. Right-click in the window and hover over "New" and select "Text Document" from the menu that comes up. Now a window for "Notepad" will come up.

Copy the following below:

cl_updaterate 100

cl_interp_all 1

cl_interp_ratio 1

cl_interp 0.021 (Make sure you use what setting worked best for you 0.021 might not work for everyone.)

Now paste what you have copied and change the "cl_interp 0.021" if you need to. Now click "File" in the upper-left hand corner of the "Notepad" window and click on "Save" from the menu. Now name it "autoexec.cfg" be sure you remove the ".txt" extension before you save it. So when you are finished it should look like this.: autoexec.cfg

Now start up the game and it should work, a good way to check this is by going into the developer console and start typing in "cl_interp." Your customized interp settings should be what is shown or what you have changed them to. Now one of the settings always returns to default, but don't worry it doesn't make much of a difference, but change it if you want to. And there you go, happy gaming! :)

My comp can run at 22.2 most of the time. but I've noticed it depends on how many people are in the server.. if theres only like 15 people its fine... but when its full pub i need to run at about 30 or 40 in order to keep it solid white.

Don't know if it's true or not but I've heard lerp doesn't just make you more accurate to hitting enemy's. it also makes their shots more accurate on you as well... any truth to this?

Default lerp is 100 ms. I've been playing with 30 or 40 for atleast 5 or 6 months now lol

My comp can run at 22.2 most of the time. but I've noticed it depends on how many people are in the server.. if theres only like 15 people its fine... but when its full pub i need to run at about 30 or 40 in order to keep it solid white.

Don't know if it's true or not but I've heard lerp doesn't just make you more accurate to hitting enemy's. it also makes their shots more accurate on you as well... any truth to this?

Default lerp is 100 ms. I've been playing with 30 or 40 for atleast 5 or 6 months now lol

Yeah, I've also read that when they did the the 'upgrade' to the orange box platform, the lerp setting doesn't help you at all. The fact that people play better with it at a lower number is more of a placebo effect than actual usefulness.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

As the video shows, the higher your LERP, the farther off the hitboxes are from your actual target when it is moving. This makes shooting at the player you see pretty much pointless because their hitbox is in a different location according to the server.

High LERP means, no packet loss, but inaccurate hitboxes, Low LERP means some packet loss but very accurate hitboxes.

The suggestion would be to play with your rates to see how low you can get your LERP and still have it in the white. A yellow LERP means you are losing packets, so try and avoid that if at all possible.

The commands:

net_graph 1

cl_updaterate 100

cl_interp_all 1

cl_interp_ratio 1

cl_interp 0.021 (this is the value you need to adjust to adjust your LERP in the server. Setting it to decimal points will adjust it. IE: cl_interp 0.1)

Keep adjusting the cl_interp rate until you find the lowest possible LERP that stays in the white. 0.021 was as low as I can go but depending on your connection speed, processor, yadda yadda yadda, you may be able to go lower.

Hope this helps explain why you all suck so bad.

just want to add you can do it in further decimals not just .0#0 , IE: mine is set to .0332. yes i know this is being a lil over picky, but it does work, if i use .0331 the lerp turns yellow :) jsut a FYI :)