New Service - Configs - New and better config!!!

Dillon 1st MRB

Question

The Medical Supply office is pleased to announce that they will begin assisting with creation of configuration scripts for enhanced play in DODS. What we will aim to do is create a seperate script for you that will be executed inside your existing config.cfg script. Now then, that being said, there are two goals that a script can accomplish:

1. Make the game more 'viewable.' - brightening darkened areas (ever wonder how people can see in the dark corners of Donner? This is how).

2. Increase your fps, especially for smoke and special effects.

We will aim to have a "catch all" script for everyone that will do both. We here in the medical supply office want to lend our experience and knowledge in this and hopefully provide you with a better, more effective gaming experience. In short, we want you to be the best players you can be.

The first thing to know is the location of your config files. These files are located in the following path:

program files/steam/steamapps/(your username here) /day of defeat source/dod/cfg

(if you run a 64-bit version of Windows, it may be program files(x86)/steam).

Locate your config.cfg file.

Right-click on the file and select Properties.

Make sure that "Read-Only" is not checked.

Click "Apply" if necessary.

Open it with either wordpad or notepad. On the last line of this document, add the following:

exec autoexec.cfg

Save the edit.

Go back into properties, and make the file "Read-Only"

Now download this file to your cfg folder: Autoexec.cfg*UPDATED*

Also, if I've helped you out with configs, please provide a bit of feedback for us here to let us know if we are doing it right or if we could do it better.

Edited by Dillon 1st MRB
  • Upvote 1

Just a side note Dillon.

Since the only servers that run 100 tick have to do so by using a plugin (which screws most of them up) most servers, Id say 95% or better use 66 tick.

The recommendation these days is to set your:

cl_updaterate 66

cl_cmdrate 66

Also as that article I posted explains, the only safe number to adjust in your settings is the rate.

"Clients usually have only a limited amount of available bandwidth. In the worst case, players with a modem connection can't receive more than 5 to 7 KB/sec. If the server tried to send them updates with a higher data rate, packet loss would be unavoidable. Therefore, the client has to tell the server its incoming bandwidth capacity by setting the console variable rate (in bytes/second). This is the most important network variable for clients and it has to be set correctly for an optimal gameplay experience. The client can request a certain snapshot rate by changing cl_updaterate (default 20), but the server will never send more updates than simulated ticks or exceed the requested client rate limit."

Rate 25000 as an example.

That command tells the server how many bytes/sec your bandwith can handle. So 25000 would be 24.41kb/sec. Obviously, we all can handle 24kb/sec on broadband connections, so the safe assumption here would be to set our rates to a higher number. However, some servers limit the amount of clients rates.

I set mine at 40000. Not saying that is best for everyone, but I don't notice any lag or registry difference by going lower than that.

Just a couple of pennies from me.

I applied the config folder,lerp setting stayed the same,changed settings as i would on console to

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

rate 30000

cl_interp 0.03

cl_interp_ratio 1

still made no difference to my lerp ,still on 100

Don't know if it made other differences to the gameplay or not i'll see how it goes

Thanks for the help.

WildAcesPatch2150.png

I dont know if im doing this right sooooo where do i have to download this too and how exactly can i do this?

The file stays as a file. If you follow the post, you'll simply copy it into the path provided. Then just edit your config.cfg file to have the last line say:

exec game.cfg

Just a side note Dillon.

Since the only servers that run 100 tick have to do so by using a plugin (which screws most of them up) most servers, Id say 95% or better use 66 tick.

The recommendation these days is to set your:

cl_updaterate 66

cl_cmdrate 66

The thing about having it set at 100 is that if its a 66 tick server, the server will (usually) reduce your rates. Aren't both of our servers 100 tick? If they aren't, I will change the file asap.

As for the rates thing, I may fiddle with that. Once DODS transitioned to the TF2 engine back in 07 (?), it did open up the rates top end.

I applied the config folder,lerp setting stayed the same,changed settings as i would on console to

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

rate 30000

cl_interp 0.03

cl_interp_ratio 1

Don't know if it made other differences to the gameplay or not i'll see how it goes

Grab me tonight in Vent. We will fiddle around with it.

Dearest Dillon,

This post completely changed day of defeat for the better in my case. My eyes are not used to seeing this game with a higher FPS, and my registration couldnt be more accurate. Its like playing a different, and better game all together.

-Love,

Hopkins

LOL.... glad it is helping you.

And, I will be uploading a new config that has some tweaks that a few of you have worked with me on troubleshooting. Link should be updated tonight when I get home from work.

This config is very good. With the config in full effect my game has gone from running at 30-50 fps, to 55-145 fps. In a LAN game, it runs at 200 or more fps.

The hit registry is a lot better, and on many maps, seeing the outskirts doesn't matter to me. I might change the no gibs rule, but I'm not bothered that texture becomes lower quality at a notable distance, because I'm not paying much attention to textures while I'm playing.

But please help me here; I see most of the changes to the game (no gibs, no distant objects, and maybe other things I don't know about) don't take effect when playing on the 1st MRB pub. This has be running at 40-80 fps in the server, which can be annoying at times and mess up a shot when it gets below 60. I know that server communication takes up processing speed, but I have a feeling that the changes that didn't happen in the pub are the reason that I was still getting below 60 and taking dives at like 15.

(Yeah, my computer is pretty weak, 1.83ghz Duo bogged down by Norton and Vista.)

Edited by Garrett 1st MRB

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

rate 30000

cl_interp 0.03

cl_interp_ratio 1

Thanks for the help.

WildAcesPatch2150.png

These are the exact same settings i have, i read the information contained in the link some time ago and applied these settings based on the information and my ping. Intersting that you are seeing a lerp of 100, my lerp is 30 which is what you would expect with a cl_interp of 0.03. This setting enables me to run with 30 lerp stable in white, lower setting give me a yellow lerp indicating packet loss. I applied these settings in an auto exec.bat file which I sent to R Baker, is this where you got the settings from.

Dillon, I would be very interested to here of any changes you make to the settings that improve Baker's results. Always keen to improve hit box locations.

My understanding is that things have changed from old, we cant any longer set cl_interp to 0 since the interp is now bound by the ratio of cl_updaterate/cl_cmdrate *100. The above settings give a best potential interp of 0.01 and lerp of 10. But of course the higher pings for European players results in packet loss at such a low setting which is why 0.03 works better for me. I may of course have completly mis understood the information but I do not appear to have any problems with shot registration with these settings.

I'm having this same issue.

I had some custom settings before in an exec file to tweak my lerp and stuff... but decided to try this config to check it out.

Call me stupid, but I seem to be having issue with it :(

**Edit: I got it working :-D

Edited by Goodwin 1st MRB

I dunno i must be retarded i can never get this thing to work i followed the instructions added exec game.cfg to config.. still nothing.. i reopen the config and the exec game.cfg

is always gone after i added it saved and everything so i have to manually do it as suggested.. =[ im doomed lighting isnt any different for me and my fps is actually worse 90-100 as compared to the usual 200 or so i get lol

Is the latest config the one that I should be using?

I have 2x Nvidia GTX 285 1G graphics cards and a quad core processor with 4G of ram I think. I might have more ram.

I heard someone say the other day that if you tone down the graphics too much on a good machine it can have a negative effect.

So what say you?

Thank you