Parker 1st MRB

Alaska   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alaska be apart of Canada?

• Yes
    • No
    • I like turtles
    • My shoes hurt

I'm just saying it's so out of place. It's not like it's an island and it's all willy nilly, it's attached to Canada and not the US.

I call shenanigans on this!

P.s. We're fine with keeping Sarah Palin, soon she'll realize that we don't have governors in Canada muahahahahaha!!!!

No but seriously we don't! The House of Commons makes Canada's laws. Canadians elect representatives to the House of Commons. These representatives are called Members of Parliament (MPs) and usually belong to a political party. The political party that has the largest number of MPs forms the government, and its leader becomes Prime Minister. The Prime Minister is the head of government in Canada. The Prime Minister chooses MPs to serve as ministers in the Cabinet. There are ministers for citizenship and immigration, justice, etc... The Cabinet makes important decisions about government policy. The Senate reviews laws that are proposed by the House of Commons. The prime minister chooses the senators.

You're forgetting the Premiers of the individual provinces and province-specific laws and regulations, they're less pronounced than in America, but they still exist.

And GMoney, that's kinda what the Frenchies want, to be treated special, but my rant about Quebec is for another day.

As well, I think Alaska would protest becoming part of Canada, due to their mostly republican nature. Canada is too liberal for them, and they wouldn't be able to tolerate a bunch of our laws, specifically our gun and self-defence laws. Hell, I live in this damned country and I can barely tolerate them, I'm already trying to think of ways to get a prohibited firearms license, and I can't even get a regular possession and acquisition license (PAL, the firearms license for most long guns) yet.

As well, I think Alaska would protest becoming part of Canada, due to their mostly republican nature. Canada is too liberal for them, and they wouldn't be able to tolerate a bunch of our laws, specifically our gun and self-defence laws. Hell, I live in this damned country and I can barely tolerate them, I'm already trying to think of ways to get a prohibited firearms license, and I can't even get a regular possession and acquisition license (PAL, the firearms license for most long guns) yet.

Ummm I have my PAL and it was easy as fuck to get.

I own a couple shotguns and my newly acquired .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle!

Ummm I have my PAL and it was easy as fuck to get.

I own a couple shotguns and my newly acquired .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle!

Regardless, plenty of guns legal in the States are banned in Canada, and we're much harsher on gun regulations and less open to gun use and carrying, the Alaskans wouldn't adjust properly, and a lot of them would likely be arrested.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion Alaska will never be given to Canada. Alaska as it is is one of the USA's most strategic locations. Alaska's rich abundance of natural resources are in the form of low grade oil, of which there is more than 25 BILLION barrels estimated in the Prudhoe Bay area, the overabundance of Pacific Salmon and other wildlife, the large supply of coal, gold, iron, and other natural minerals, and Alaska is a very large farming state. Although most of you would think that Alaska is a frozen wasteland, with its almost constant sunlight in the summer, comfortable 80 degree F weather, and nitrogen enriched soil Alaska produces some of the largest vegetables in the world and a lot of it. Now besides all of this Alaska also holds the USA missile defense system in Fort Richardson, AK. This system protects the US from any long range missile threat including ICBMs loaded with nuclear warheads. On top of this Fort Wainwright is also the military's cold weather training and research facility. With all of this said and I having lived in Alaska for 4 years on a military base of my 16 years of life, I would die before I see Alaska handed over to anyone even the Canadians. Oh and for those who think Canada could take over Alaska just know that there are over 25,000 active duty soldiers stationed in Alaska alone thats about 1/4 of the Canadian military including there reserves; the USA's military is about 3 million active and reserves so good luck to the fool who tries to take Alaska from the USA.

• 1 year later...

Sure having Alaska would be cool, is it worth getting into a diplomatic nightmare for it? Not really. I read something from a guy that is pro-american expansionist that suggested Quebec should be a different country and Canada should fuse with the US because of their common english culture. I don't think Canada as part of the US would necessarily be terrible if necessary reforms were implemented first, but frankly, the age of large territorial empires is gone. Nowadays international relations and trade shape the realpolitik chessboard, and Canada is already part of the US' alliance: NATO.

So much hate about French-Canadians :(.

Edited by Peaker 1st MRB

Not sure how i feel about that. I'm all for Canada and the US uniting due to various similarities BUT...both countries are run very differently and honestly i prefer Canada's system. Call me a traitor, but i enjoy how things are run in Canada and if both countries ever did unite i would hope canada would maintain its system and not let outside sources try to change it or try and make it similar to the US system.

It would be nice if people from both countries were capable of being citizens in eachothers countries or getting jobs more easily compared to other ones. I find that Canada's system doesnt even give preference to US citizens in regards to coming to work and live. Its more like fill this paperwork out.....now wait a few years and we will get back to you on whether or not you can stay here, work, study, or live.

Its depressing at times but im hoping at some point since were practically right fucking next door that immigration laws would be alot more relaxed in between Canada and the US. Uniting is fine with me but giving up Alaska? naw. People out there needs guns lol.