She said yes....

Goodwin 1st MRB

Well,

Not many of you knew this (only a couple people) - but I had recently got my gf and engagement ring. We've been together almost 3 years, and she's my biggest supporter, as well as my biggest challenger. She is quite simply, my best friend.

Allow me to give some back story: For months I had been browsing motorcycles. Online, in-stores; pretty much everywhere I went I was thinking about them. As a former MX'er, 2 wheeled machines keep me alive. Last week is when I bought the ring, but being the dolt I can sometimes be I paid for it with the credit card her and I share. She could see the charges, so I told her not to look and I would handle finances for a bit. Of course this raised some red flags for her, and she demanded to know why. I told her I bought a bike, and I didn't want her to know how much it was until she saw it and went for a ride, only then could she judge the amount spent. She begrudgingly agreed not to look and I thought I was set. I paid for the overnight shipping (from Belgium) so it would hurry and get here and I could surprise her (so I could quit lying).

There was a problem... the place I bought the ring from was closed. I bought the ring on Thursday, but because of Easter they were closed Friday, Monday and Tuesday! To top it off - this past Wednesday they were without power/internet most of the day so they didn't get the ring out until yesterday! An entire week I had to wait despite my payment for overnight shipping. Well, for the past week poor Dee has really been angry with me. She was mad having thought I made some huge purchase, well beyond what I had planned to spend without telling her, or even talking it over first. She let me know virtually every day. The first day I told her about the bike, I spent the next 48 hours speaking in sign language because she refused to speak to me (we're both moderately fluent in sign). Last night she was crying because she was upset about it! I felt horrible, but I knew the torture would be worth it in the end...

Today I did it.

I took the morning off work and waited for the package to arrive (I had to be here to sign for it) - I then went out and bought a dozen roses, a white T-shirt, and a Sharpie. Why those other things you ask?

Well, my gf is an art teacher - she likes creativity (and lots of it!); needless to say I felt obligated to do something out of the ordinary, and as 'large' as I could secretly put together.

So what about the sharpie and white t-shirt!? Well... I took the new t-shirt out and defaced it with the sharpie. It now has a slogan on the front of it that reads "WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

I put that on under a zip-up hoodie, and proceeded to her school. She teaches Jr. High and those kids are VERY excitable. When I arrived I asked the secretary (who ran a triathlon with Dee and I) if I could hand deliver the flowers to her room. It's not uncommon that I bring flowers to her randomly at school, so asking to bring them to her room in person caught her off guard. She said I could as long as she came with, and that's when I told her "Well, I have a bit of a question I wanted to ask Dee, which is why I wanted to hand deliver them..." and I showed her my shirt. Everyone in the office freaked out, all the ladies wanted to see the ring, etc, etc.

I zipped up the hoodie and we headed down to her class, interestingly enough, her class was doing some projects out in the cafeteria today - so there are all the tables lined up, all the students happily working away; and there is Dee happily going around and assisting everyone. She sees me and the flowers and starts grinning - she likes surprises like that. She walks over and gives me a little kiss, and she thought that was it. So, then I tell her "There is a surprise for you on your desk..." - she wasn't sure what to think. How could I get a surprise on her desk without her knowing? I told her not to ask questions, but to trust me and go look. As she went into her room I got down on one knee, unzipped my hoody, pulled out the ring and waited for her to come back (the girls in the class were ooohing). She came around the corner from her room and was just about to tell me she didn't see anything when she saw me. She instantly turned bright red, and if her smile could have lept off her face it would have.

She walked up, nearly in tears and I asked her "will you marry me?" She nodded and said yes, and gave me a wonderful kiss. By this time the class had all but gathered around and the girls were falling all over themselves. Some of the girls had gone into a couple other classrooms and told some of the other classes teachers what was happening and they came out quick as could be (with their class in tow) and congratulated us and there were hugs all around.

Anyhow...

I hope everyone else has a great Friday. I said 'screw it', and took the rest of the day off work just for the hell of it. It's way too nice to be working.

I didn't get any pictures of the actual event, but of course the girls were all over it afterward with their cameras. I'll post some when I get them.

OMG.OMG.OMG. The story brought tears to my eyes. I sitting here wiping my eyes, it's so hard to type.

NOT...........

Congrats, man. Very Romantic. Very imaginative. Good job, a great memory for the grandchildren. Plus it, to me, is better news than the royal, mutha fuckin', wedding.

Well Done. I'm coming to the wedding, when is it?