When Did You Choose to Be Straight?

Legend

• 1 month later...

You choose to be gay the same way you choose to like strawberries lol, you do or you don't. It's also not a question of belief, but of scientific accuracy.

I for one don't think that sexual orientation is genetic or set at birth, but I do think your early experiences contribute to shape your sexuality throughout your life. Now I don't mean that to say that depending on whether or not you give barbies to your kids means he'll grow up gay or not, but I don't think there's such a thing as a "gay or hetero" gene. I also don't think it's possible to turn a gay straight. The same way it's not possible to turn a straight person gay.

Freud was incorrect on a lot of things, most of all his entire analysis of the womanly gender, but I do agree with him that you go through important episodes as you grow up that are influenced by/influence your subconscious.

Also, just putting that out there, referring to a book that was written by a variety of authors from different time periods, that says the world is 6000 years old, that provides rules to sell your daughter into slavery, that talks about unicorns, the content of which was decided by a Roman conclave on orders of a Roman Emperor (Constantine) etc... might not be the best way to tackle complex scientifical and psychological issues.

there's two things here that bug me. first, of course people don't choose their own sexuality. that's just silly. If I could choose my sexuality then I wouldn't have to worry about subconsciously glancing at women's breasts when it was innapropriate among other things because I could just turn off my straight switch. the second thing though is the confusing one, somebody could not be gay and still fuck a dude. the actual sex is the choice (unless you're a sex addict, don't be a sex addict). so you get people like Neil Patrick Harris who has slept with more women than any of us probably ever will, but he's still gay. and you also get the repressed homosexuals, who attend a high school and spend the entire time worrying if he'll be outed because it seems obvious (to him) that he's gay (one of my best friends was like this throughout high school, none of us knew until he came out but it didn't matter at all). so someone can seem/act straighter than straight, but still be gay and vice versa.

Interestingly, it is thought that a really high percentage of homophobes are actually gay but, due to upbringing/religion/societal influences, repress it and end up being literally scared of homophobia because they're afraid they might be one and they've been told it's horrible and 'sinful' or they think they'll be ostracised by their community. funny that.

And btw peaker, I think I saw something about men with older brothers being more likely to be gay due to estrogen in the womb (the mother getting 'better' at growing a kid)

EDIT: Ahh, here it is: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/0...ty-genetics-usa

Edited by Takel 1st MRB

Also, just putting that out there, referring to a book that was written by a variety of authors from different time periods, that says the world is 6000 years old, that provides rules to sell your daughter into slavery, that talks about unicorns, the content of which was decided by a Roman conclave on orders of a Roman Emperor (Constantine) etc... might not be the best way to tackle complex scientifical and psychological issues.

Awesomness in a can.

Awesomness in a can.

+1

The day anyone on this planet can strictly define love, feelings, emotion, and attraction down to its bare bones and tell me how it all works will be the one person who can say being gay is a choice.

You have no control over how you feel or whom you're attracted to. There are so many definitions and attempts to decipher attraction, lust, love and so on. What do people say about meeting "the one" person? It just happens and you know it when you see her/him.

I have many gay/lesbian friends. Not once do i ever believe they chose to be that way. Thats who they are. They are attracted to whomever they are because that is a huge part of themselves. They cant just choose it like a fucking flavor over at Baskin Robbins. You dont just wake up and say I'm gonna choose to be gay tonight. Thats not how it works. Its all about feelings and emotions of being human that have yet to be explained. Everyone is attracted to some form of person.

Me? I adore the female anatomy. I may have gay friends and they are people just like everyone else, but I'm attracted to women. I didnt choose it, its just how i feel. I dont get all giddy around men or when i see men walking in the street. I dont feel attraction or lust towards them. Now when i see a women what do you think happens? You think i choose to be turned on? Like theres a switch i just magically flip on? O look a women! Mega boner activate!

Being gay is not a choice. Everyone is different and they cant help whom they are attracted to. Course you can manipulate the feelings and emotions of a person, but it wont feel right to them. It wont feel natural to them as who they are. My philosophy even though im straight, if thats what your attracted to, go for it. Do what makes you happy. You cant help how a person feels.

when i liked tacos more than sausage.

I think I like sausage more than tacos. Cook up some fried eggs, maybe some biscuits and gravy. Throw in some pancakes or waffles and you have an amazing breakfast. :P

Seriously did you ever sit down and go "Man I like woman, I should be attracted to them." I know I didn't make that choice, I just started feeling all funny in my penis one day while looking at my milf of a gym teacher.

Edited by Morton 1st MRB

when i liked tacos more than sausage.

I think I like sausage more than tacos. Cook up some fried eggs, maybe some biscuits and gravy. Throw in some pancakes or waffles and you have an amazing breakfast. :P

Seriously did you ever sit down and go "Man I like woman, I should be attracted to them." I know I didn't make that choice, I just started feeling all funny in my penis one day while looking at my milf of a gym teacher.

yes i did and i even had a crush on my biology teacher, she was hot.

That study was quite interesting Takel, but I don't think the genetic option is the best explanation. Who knows I might be wrong, it's still pretty much up in the air at this point. For example, to take a somewhat disgusting example, it's widely known in the psychiatric community that it's pretty much impossible to reform a paedophile, only to help them (Or make them, in the case of chemical castration) to control their urges. In a twisted way, paedophilia corresponds to the definition of a sexual orientation then. The obvious difference is that it's obviously illegal and harmful to society. At the same time, there is a higher preponderance of paedophiles amongst people who were abused as a child, suggesting that societal events may very well play a part in sexual attraction.

I never really chose to be straight, In that I mean that I like "sausage" more than "tacos".

In my opinion it is more like we realize that we are either straight or gay or both. When I was a little kid, about seven or eight, I fell in love with my best friend, he was a guy. I could't tell him because at the time I thought that boys can't like other boys. I saw girls kissing boys on cartoons, not boys kissing boys. Since at the time I beklieved the idea of liking someone of the same sex was unfathomable, I decided that I would have to keep this a secret from him and everyone else, as a result I "pretended" to be straight. I lived in a community where being open about this stuff is like painting a bullseye on your back. I had pretended for so long that I had become disilusional and I faked myslef into liking a girl. After highschool was over I realized that I shouldn't be hiding my real feelings and that I should be honest. So I decided to come out of the closet, very recently I might add. All in all, I am glad that I could be honest with myself

Anyway, point is: you don't choose to be straight or gay. You just have to find out for yourself.

Edited by Kanganis 1st MRB